Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Will the antibiotic Omnicef work to get rid of a dental

infection?...
Will the antibiotic Omnicef work to get rid of a dental infection?
4/12/2008
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Dear Chirsty,

Welcome to just answer.

OMNICEF is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics,Any antibiotic along with omnicef will work against fighting bacteria for your body.Omnicef is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria,such as acute flare-ups of chronic bronchitis, any middle ear infections, infections of throat and tonsil, pneumonia,sinus infections and skin infections.They also have certain side effects Read more about them here;

http://www.drugs.com/omnicef.html

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cefdin_ids.htm

We as dentists sually prescribe amoxicillian /pencillin:

Read more about this drug here:
http://www.drugs.com/amoxicillin.html

Or Erthyromycin if one is allergic to pencillin.
Read more about this drug here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin

Any antibiotic will do the same job of fighting against the bacteria.Although Cephalosporins are appropriate for the type of bacteria, involved in the typical oral infection, there are also increasing levels of resistance to antibiotics in general among bacterial populations.

http://www.mynewsmile.com/dental/tooth_infection_antibiotic.htm

Also please visit your dentist soon,
situation won't go away permanently until you see a dentist and get your tooth evalated and get the root case of infecton removed.

I hope this answers all your questions,Feel free to ask me any queries if you have doubts and we can discuss it.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid.
This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed.Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

Take care!!

Thanks
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans, Masters of Dental Surgery