How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6020
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My bridge fell out and I am out of town on work, what can I

Customer Question

My bridge fell out and I am out of town on work, what can I do temporarily? Thank you!
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 9 years ago.

If you look inside the crowns and there is little more than a bit of cement or a slight amount of debris, this is an indication that the abutment teeth did not break off within the crowns, but rather the cement simply washed out or lost its hold. This can be confirmed if you look inside your mouth and see the prepared (drilled down) abutment teeth still there, poking through the gums. If this is the situation, then you can obtain temporary dental cement from any pharmacy and follow the label directions to temporarily re-attach the bridge. Be advised that the strength of the bond from temporary cement is not all that reliable, and you'll want to do as much chewing as you can some place in your mouth other than on that loose bridge. Keep some temporary cement in reserve in case you need to repeat the process.

However, if you look inside those bridge crowns and see part of the abutment teeth broken off inside, it's unlikely that you will be able to devise any temporary remedy on your own; in this case, you will need to consult with a local dentist to make some temporary provision for filling that bridge space.

Good luck!