Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

It looks like a blister. We put mouth wash on a q tip and

Customer Question
put it on it .It...
It looks like a blister. We put mouth wash on a q tip and put it on it .It bleed a little. I would like to know what it is.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dental
1/11/2008
Dentist: Dr. George McKee, Dentist replied 10 years ago
Dr. George McKee
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more? How old is your son? Where specifically is the sore? Above or below the teeth? Roof of the mouth? Is there a discharge coming out ot the tooth? Is the sore painful at all?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Its on the top of the gum. A little away from the tooth. There are two of them. One looks like it has a white head to it. One does not. The only time it hurts is when you touch them. No pus comes out. And all his teeth dont hurt.
DearCustomer

These might be dental abscesses from decay on a tooth that has penetrated into the pulp or nerve. Normally the pressure from a tooth abscess is initially painful due to the pressure build up of the infection inside the tooth. Once the pressure breaks through the gum above the tooth, the pressure is released, the pain goes away, and a little pimple-like lesion remains. This lesion acts like a vent for the still present infection. If you suspect this is the case, a visit tot he dentist is needed to treat the decay and infection.

One other possibility is that it is a traumatic apthous ulcer. These can occur when the gum is abraded too harshly with a toothbrush or some other trauma is received by the gum tissue. An apthous ulcer looks like a blister with a red border. They act and feel like canker sores and will heal on heir own in about two weeks. Unlike the draining abscess above, apthous ulcers tend to be more painful than you describe.

I hope this helps. If you have any other concerns regarding this matter that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.
Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS
If it is an abscess whould it hurt all the time. Or just when you touch the red bump? He eat and drinks just fine. But no matter what am going to take in.

DearCustomer

An abscess will be painless if it has a means to drain the pressure out into the mouth. The lesions you are observing are fistulas, or little holes that lead to the source of the infection. They can be sensitive to touch and will disappear once the problem causing them is eliminated. As you stated, the best thing is to take him to a childrens dentist. I hope this helps.

Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist