How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. George McKee Your Own Question
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1396
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. George McKee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need advise about a dentist who messed up mouth.

Resolved Question:

I found a dentist that worked on my teeth and made me a partial for the top. Went for first adjustment and dentist admited he filed down to much and then needed to rebuild it with this rubber stuff to make it fit correctly. And now besides filing down the teeth on the partial he has filed down my bottom real teeth to try to fix the top. The teeth on top are filed down so far on the partial that all I feel is metal. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this. I am now having a toothache on one of my real teeth on the bottom that he had filed down.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 9 years ago.


Obviously, something went wrong in the fabrication of this partial denture. Adjustments are a normal part of fitting a new partial denture, but not to this extent. This situation happens to the best of dentists at times and is probably due to an error in the impression or an error on the part of the dental laboratory that made the prosthesis. Your dentist should re-make the partial denture for you and not charge you. The fact that you have not finished paying on your other dental work is irrevelant. You can not be expected to accept a failed product. Ideally, had the partial denture fit like it was supposed to, there would not have been the need to file down you bottom teeth, unless he informed you before making the prosthesis that this was necessary. Hopefully this sensitivity will resolve on it's own, but ask you dentist about this and he might be able to place a protective coating over the areas that were filed down, or build them back up with a filling material. This should be done at no charge to you as well.

If your dentist is still hesitant to remake your partial denture for you, you might want to make a complaint to your local dental society's peer review committee. They will look at the situation and most likely recommend to your dentist that he re-make the partial denture. A strategically placed word to your dentist that you might pursue this method of action might just solve the entire problem for you. The address of your local dental society can be found here:

I hope this answers your question. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get right back to you with more information.


Dr. George McKee and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dental Questions