Dental

I had a large filling in my upper first molar. The tooth…

Customer Question
I had a large filling...
I had a large filling in my upper first molar. The tooth seems to have lost the nerve as there is no pain....since the filling has come out last week and dentist inserted a sharp needle in the tooth and it did not pain. It is not sensitive to cold and hot... Read full answer
I had a large filling in my upper first molar. The tooth seems to have lost the nerve as there is no pain....since the filling has come out last week and dentist inserted a sharp needle in the tooth and it did not pain. It is not sensitive to cold and hot drinks at all. There is a recessed gum on one side of the tooth for a long time (20 years now) where there was dischage coming out at times..without any pain. However I had been using this tooyh all this while (uptil last week) to chew food without any problems. Last week the filling came out while I was eating and still there is no pain to hot or cold drinks. Do I now need normal filling or root canel treatment (as one dentist suggested)but needs to decide..he claned and has put a cotton in it. Another dentist says that it needs just filling since there is no tooth pain.
I can feel some discharge from the tooth and in recessed gum area. What do you advise on this issue.Do I get it filled or get root canel done.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Dental
1/8/2008
Dentist: Dr. George McKee, Dentist replied 11 years ago
Dr. George McKee

Dear Mohammed,

There is an abscess (infection) associated with this tooth. The answer to your question depends on where the infection is located. If the infection is located in the gums of the tooth, then you do not need a root canal. If the infection is in the nerve of the tooth (which can be causing you no pain), then you do need a root canal. From your description of the treatment rendered, I suspect that the nerve of the tooth is dead (since you said that the dentist put a needle INTO the tooth without pain) and you need a root canal before a new permanent filling is placed. Sometimes, a tooth can have both a gum infection and a nerve infection at the same time. My best suggestion is to have the dentist who told you that you need a root canal take an X-ray and show you where the infection is coming from. The dentist who told you that the tooth does not need a root canal treatment (because there is no pain) is wrong if all he used to make this determination was just the fact that you have no pain. If the nerve in the tooth is completely dead, there will be no pain but will still have an infection present. If you have a dead tooth filled without first performing the root canal, you will have a larger infection later with pain. I hope this information was helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this matter that I have not addressed, please let me know and I will get back to you with more information.

Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have pain in my top and bottom jaw on the left. It came on
Hi. I have pain in my top and bottom jaw on the left. It came on suddenly last week. Saw my dentist on Thursday. Both teeth that have pain have had root canals. My dentist xrayed the bottom tooth and … read more
Beth Dorian
Beth Dorian
DMD
I just feel like I have been having dry mouth and yesterday,
Hi, I just feel like I have been having dry mouth and yesterday, I suddenly feel the sensitivity to sweet and cold on the upper tooth, the chewing tooth. After that, sometimes when I bite down I feel … read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Owner,
Doctor of Dental Surgery
I had a question about fillings I had my right top and
I had a question about fillings I had my right top and bottom molars filled and I've been experiencing a lot of pain two months after filling. Chewing is difficult and I can't drink anything cold. Whe… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Stop searching for answers—
Recently i noticed i have a broken piece off one of my
Hi. Recently i noticed i have a broken piece off one of my molars. It does not hurt all the time . Only occasionaly when i eat..sometimes with cold things. I attached a pic. It is not the whole molar … read more
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dentist,
DDS
43 yo healthy female- i had an old filling leak and decay
Hello 43 yo healthy female- i had an old filling leak and decay occured below it. My dentist put a new filling in. said it was close to a nerve. I've been taking motrin as directed. last night the thr… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
About two years ago I had an abscess near the root of one of
About two years ago I had an abscess near the root of one of my lower back molars that also became a boil on my gum. After a course of antibiotics, my dentist undertook a root canal on the tooth. I kn… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist / Anesthesiologist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Last year in February, I had a big filling done in my lower
Last year in February, I had a big filling done in my lower second right molar. The very next day I had a throbbing pain and since then it is very sensitive to hot and cold. Last week I had unmanageab… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I had a filling in front rt tooth 7/23. Intermittant pain at
I had a filling in front rt tooth 7/23. Intermittant pain at site. 5/10. Last week entire right teeth (upper only) are hurting. Had xray. Dentist says it's a gum infection, gave mouth rinse. I'm paran… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I have had some acheness with a molar that I think I had a
I have had some acheness with a molar that I think I had a root canal done on about 12 yrs. ago. There is a black line where the tooth meets the gum and the tooth is lighter than my other natural teet… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
Thanks for being here. I just got a filling on my lower left
Thanks for being here. I just got a white filling on my lower left molar next to my last lower back molar on Sept. 27th. and also i had a gold crown on my left very last back molar next to the filling… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
How can i tell if a tooth is cracked below the gum line?
how can i tell if a tooth is cracked below the gum line? about a month ago i was eating popcorn and bit into something that was hard. i froze up thinking the tooth would just crumble and fall apart. N… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had root canels on 18 and 19 molars. I had pain in 19 and
Hi there, I had root canels on 18 and 19 molars. I had pain in 19 and they did a second root canel. [It seemed to help] I then had crowns put on both teeth. now 2 months later 19 is definitley sensiti… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
Stop searching for answers—
I had hot and cold sensativity to my molar (behind canine).
I had hot and cold sensativity to my molar (behind canine). Dentist did a partial root canal with a temporary filling and put me on a 7 day regiment of pennicylin, which I finished completly. I went b… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I had a root treatment on a lower molar (number 7) 3 months
i had a root treatment on a lower molar (number 7) 3 months ago, because it had a huge filling and started reacting to hot drinks. after the rct, the dentist put the white filling in and said that he … read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,
I had a root canel on my left side second to last bottom
Hi I had a root canel on my left side second to last bottom molar. I had it done by a endontist. After he was done he put a temporary filling in. I went to my general dentist a week later for crown pr… read more
Dr Rao
Dr Rao
Consulting Dentist,
I went to dentist for lower right molar pain. He replaced
I went to dentist for lower right molar pain. He replaced filling. Well that did not work , I started to have pain and he gave me a pulpotimy because he had no time that day. I went back again and had… read more
Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee
Dentist,
My teeth hurt when I bite down - lower jaw and back molar
My lower jaw and back molar hurts terribly when I bite down, and when I leave my mouth slack my jaw has kind of a dull throb. This started in earnest today when I woke up. It doesn't feel like a cavit… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
I have slight pain in my lower molar for a time, seems to be
I have slight pain in my lower molar for a long time, seems to be more persistent now. A little sensitive to cold, for less than a second. My dentist said that he saw a tiny area of translucency at th… read more
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Dentist,