Dr. George McKee
Dr. George McKee, Dentist
Experience:  Licensed dentist with 30 years clinical experience in general practice and cosmetic reconstruction.
7707004

I have dark/ black stuff on the bottom of my bottom front

Customer Question

I have dark/ black stuff on the bottom of my bottom front teeth, it''s hard and won''t come off when i brush, what is it?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. George McKee replied 9 years ago.
Dear tessa,

The dark material on the bottom of your front teeth is one of three things.

1. It is tartar, calcium deposits, mineralized plaque. Pick your term, it's all the same thing. Your saliva contains dissolved calcium, just as hard water contains dissolved calcium. The dissolved calcium slowly accumulates on your teeth in this area similar to the gradual calcium build up on your shower door over time. The calcium is very porous and picks up the stains of your daily oral habits: coffee, smoking, dark foods. You cannot remove this with a toothbrush. You need to have your teeth professionally cleaned by a dental hygienist (preferred) or a dentist to rid yourself of this.

2. The dark material you see is stain. Coffee, dark tea and smoking stains tend to be the most tenacious. You might be able to remove these with a smokers toothpaste, but again you should have your teeth professionally cleaned by a dental hygienist (preferred) or a dentist to rid yourself of this.

3. The dark material could be decay. Some decay is quite hard and dark colored. You would need to see a dentist to sort this problem out if this is the case.

I hope this information was helpful. If you have any concerns regarding this issue that I have not addressed, please let me kn ow and I will get back to you with more information.
Sincerely, ***** ***** DDS