Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Is there a natural, at-home way to get rid of a tooth

Customer Question
infection? I want to see...
Is there a natural, at-home way to get rid of a tooth infection? I want to see a dentist but I have a busy work schedule right now and don't have the money.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/24/2007
Dentist: JenniferE, Certified Dental Assistant replied 10 years ago
JenniferE
JenniferE, Certified Dental Assistant
HelloCustomer

There are temporary ways to relieve the discomfort and help control and possibly heal the infection, but you should really see a dentist as soon as possible. An infection is nothing to mess with and not to be ta***** *****ghtly.

To relieve a toothache, you can use oil of cloves. You do not want to use too much clove oil at one time. Clove oil is very strong. What you do is dip a Q-tip into the clove oil. Dab the Q-tip on a gauze pad, removing the excess oil. Then, rub the Q-tip on the tooth and surrounding tissue. Clove is a natural sedative to the tooth.

If the tooth is infected, you want to see the dentist right away for an evaluation and treatment. Do not let the infection go untreated. For temporary relief until your dental appointment, you can use colloidal silver which can be found at many health and nutrition stores. Silver is a natural antibiotic. You would use this the same way you would use clove oil. Colloidal silver may also be injested. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

If the tooth is cracked, broken, or a filling has come out, you first want to gently brush the tooth and rinse. When the tooth is clean, you can place dental wax or Orthodontic wax over the tooth to protect the tooth from air and debris, as well as your cheek and/or tongue from any sharp edges. This is only a temporary fix and the wax needs to be replaced after eating or drinking. You can find the wax at many health and nutrition stores, pharmacies, and some grocery stores. It is the same thing people use on their braces to protect their cheeks and tongue from any rough edges.

All of these are just temporary measures to relieve any discomfort. If you have a toothache and/or the tooth or gum tissue is infected, you need to visit a dentist for treatment. Do not let the tooth go because the tooth will not heal on its own. The longer you delay treatment, the more damage can be done to the tooth and surrounding tissue, which could lead to much more involved and expensive treatment.
JenniferE
JenniferE, Certified Dental Assistant
Thank you. I really appreciate your help. Is it usually possible to save a tooth even with an absess and cavity?
HiCustomer

You're welcome. :)

It is possible to save a tooth if it is abscessed and/or has a cavity. If the tooth is abscessed, a procedure called a root canal must be done in order to remove the infection. After the root canal is completed, either a permanent filling or crown is placed on the tooth. Sometimes antibiotics are prescribed before and during treatment to help manage the infection.

If just the gingival tissue, (gum), is abscessed and not the tooth itself, there are procedures available to remove the infection so the tissue and bone can begin to heal. Antibiotics are often prescribed before and/or during treatment to help minimize and control the infection.

The dentist or Endodontist will try to save the tooth. However, you do not want to let an infection go for too long. A tooth infection can make you feel sick or run down. The longer an infection is present, the more damage the infection can do to the bone and tissue. The quicker you get the infection treated, the more likely the tooth can be saved.

The same for cavities. The longer the decay is left in a tooth untreated, the more damage the decay can do. Decay in a tooth can also lead to other problems such as infection as well as cause severe pain in the tooth and/or jaw.
JenniferE
JenniferE
JenniferE, Certified Dental Assistant