Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

i have a black spot on my gum above my tooth.what is ...

Customer Question
i have a black spot...
i have a black spot on my gum above my tooth.what is it and how can i get rid of it
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dental
10/3/2007
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 10 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
DearCustomer

I need a bit more information in order to provide an accurate answer to your question:

-Is this black spot something that definitely appeared recently, or has it been there for as long as you can remember?

-is the spot truly black, gray, bluish, or perhaps dark brown?

-what is your racial profile-- are you black or dark-complexioned?

-do you have any similar dark spots elsewhere in your mouth, or perhaps on your skin elsewhere on your body?

-is the black spot level with the surrounding gum tissue, or is it raised?

-is the texture of the black spot the same as the surrounding gum tissue the same as the surrounding gum tissue, or is it rougher, or smoother, or ulcerated?

-are there now or have there been silver amalgam (conventional metal) fillings in the tooth adjacent to the black spot?

-do you have any significant systemic disease, congenital anomaly, or endocrine disturbance?
Reply to Mark Bornfeld DDS's Post: it has just appeared recently.it is black.i am a white female the spot is is the same level as my gum.the texture is the same also.no fillings beside it .it is next to my front tooth on the left.
DearCustomer

I recommend that you present yourself to your dentist for evaluation of the black spot. Assuming the adjacent tooth or teeth are not inflamed or infected (there would probably be pain or soreness in the teeth if this were the case), the black spot probably represents a benign melanotic spot-- perhaps a melanotic nevus or blue nevus. In some endocrine conditions, multiple areas of pigmentation become evident, but this would probably manifest in other areas of the body as well, so this is just mentioned for the sake of completeness.

Proper management would include visual assessment, and perhaps excision followed by microscopic examination of the tissue. Assuming the lesion is benign (probably true), simple excision would be curative, and permit your doctor to properly identify what it is.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist