How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 142495
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a prison administrator change a judges sentence

This answer was rated:

Can a prison administrator change a judges sentence arbitralily ? If not, what is the remedy for doing so ?
JA: What are the exact charges? Is this a federal or state case?
Customer: This is a state case.
JA: Where did this occur? Sentencing laws vary by state.
Customer: This is in Texas.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have visited with parole lawyers, criminal lawyers and judges and none can answer.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

• At some point the site will send you a phone call popup offering you a phone call, IT COSTS MORE MONEY AND the expert DID NOT SEND IT unless asked by customer, if you do not want the phone call DO NOT CLICK ON “CALL ME” or the popup, the expert is still working on answering you via chat even if you do not want the extra fee phone call, but please do not get upset with the expert about the request as it is not their fault.

• If there are any delays in my response it is because I am working on typing replies as well as typing to multiple customers at one time, you are not being ignored.

  1. Nobody can add to a sentence or change a sentence issued by a judge except the judge or the appeals court.
  2. If the administrator is not adhering to the sentence, he needs a lawyer to go back to court to get the court to rule on the changes made by the administrator.



Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page (bottom on the App), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. If you think you have given the expert credit for their time just by paying the site fee, YOU DID NOT it was only a deposit, sorry for that confusion caused by the site. Even if you have a membership, you still have to leave positive feedback on every new question, it does not cost you anything more, or we experts get zero credit when you do not leave positive feedback each question. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq. and 15 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
What procedure is necessary to address the court ?

Thank you for your reply.

  1. The inmate needs a local attorney to file.
  2. If they are changing the sentence the attorney needs to file for review and ruling on the charges.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
What does the attorney file? Habeous Corpus ??

Thank you for your reply.


  1. If they are holding him beyond his term, then yes it would be habeas corpus.
  2. If they have changed something else, then it would be a motion for review.