How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 41968
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with misdemeanor larceny by changing tags.

This answer was rated:

I was charged with misdemeanor larceny by changing tags. This is my first offense ever except for speeding tickets. I'm so scared and dont know what to do. I'm out of state and it was for north Carolina
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: Larceny of changing price tags. 1/22/2020 is court date but Ina try to get it changed.
JA: Have you talked to a NC lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was just going to plead guilty so I dont have to fight. I did it and told them I did it.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are a first time offender you can see if they have a diversion type program you can enter into to try and get the case dismissed. If they do and you complete this you do have a chance to keep your record clean. You certainly can try and fight this but if they caught you and have a strong case and you admitted to it it will be very difficult to fight. When you were appear you can ask about diversion and also asked to be appointed a public defender to see if you can have a free attorney representing you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Who do I see about the program?
You would speak with the prosecutor about it when you were appear in court.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about jail time?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont want to go to jail, and I am being honest about it
You would not go to jail if you enter a diversion program for as a first time offender probation would be more likely.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How does the program work? Could I do it at home if they let me?
A program like this typically involves you staying out of trouble for a period of time, community service, may be a class in fines and costs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
So I wouldnt go to a class?
You may go to a shop lifters are theft type of class.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. What if they dont issue me the program?
If they do not have a program in your county you can take a plea deal and that would likely involve probation.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm out of state. So I dont know.
So you would need the court to ask for you to complete it in your home state
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there another way I can get it dropped? Without having to go to court? Are go ahead and pay fines and fees like a speeding ticket?
I am sorry but there is not. This is a criminal charge so it’s only going to be dropped if you do diversion or are you fight it and hire an attorney in the state agrees to dismiss it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont see what there is to fight. I just admitted to it and he gave me a misdemeanor instead of a felony charge. I dont want to go and fight when there is nothing to fight.
Exactly so you either need to take a plea deal or enter into diversion. You have to show up I am sorry to say as it is a criminal case and if you fail to do so a warrant will be issued for your arrest.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think the plea would be just probation no jail time, hopefully.
I do. The reason being is that you are a first time offender and this was a non-violent crime and it is a misdemeanor. No reason for the prosecutor to see jail time for something like this.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your helping me to breathe. I have been trying to google this and see about it but was I was reading was on shoplifting but I didt shoplift I paid for the stuff I just changed the tags.
You are welcome and glad I could help. I kindly just asked for a positive rating so the site will provide me with the proper credit.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This wouldnt involve suspending my lience would it?
No it should not
CrimDefense and 8 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What does this mean?
(G.S. 14-72.1(D))
That appears to be the code or statute under which you were charged
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you know it? It is beside my description?
You should just Google that along with a what you are charged with and it should appear.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would you know what class misdemeanor I'm under?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I try to google that but it comes up all different things.
Yes it appears to be a class III.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the worst one I read on.
I do understand but as I shared above you could likely be looking at probation as I do not think they would see any jail
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never mind I reread it class 111 is the least.
No problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For North Carolina it says fines for 200$ and possibly 1 to 10 days in jail.
Yes but jail is the worst case scenario.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some of it says 24 hour community service.
Do you think I still need to see if they give me an attorney or just do it on my own? I've never been to court before?
When you appear you can ask to be appointed the public defender
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will that be better?
Yes and less you want to hire an attorney ahead of time if you can afford it. It is always best to be represented by legal counsel.