Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer
Experience:  retired after 25 years
99092957

How much does it cost to get an expungement for a 1st

How much does it cost to get an expungement for a 1st offense?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: How do you get a reduction in the restitution you end up with, when you will never make that kind of money in a lifetime?
JA: What were the exact charges?
Customer: There was a choice in charges, arson which held 5 years or conspiracy which held 20 years. I choose arson.
JA: Where was the arrest? Expungement laws vary by state.
Customer: Georgia
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: l just want answers because the situation was a major blunder in my life. I never started a fire but the individuals involved were both friends of mine.

Georgia law allows for the expungement (or purging) of criminal arrest records. Note that the terms "expungement" and "purging" are used interchangeably in Georgia.

The state of Georgia offers two procedural paths to expungement of your arrest record. Which one may be applicable for you simply depends on the circumstances of your case. You can request an expungement if:

1. You were arrested for any offenses under state law, but after arrest were released by the arresting agency without the offense being referred to the state prosecutor, or
  2. You were arrested and your case was referred to the prosecutor, but the prosecutor dismissed without seeking indictment or filing an accusation.

What this means is that under Georgia law, if you were convicted of the crime you were arrested for, you cannot have that conviction expunged. Georgia expungement applies only to arrests that were subsequently dropped without charges.

to reduce restitution you would have to file a motion for a reduction and ask the judge to reduce the restitution