Criminal Law

Regarding restraining orders, how to proceed when someone…

Regarding restraining orders, how...

Regarding restraining orders, how to proceed when someone falsely files a restraining order against you AND in a different jurisdiction (state) than it allegedly happened?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there ongoing abuse or harassment? How recent?

No abuse, no relationship other than... Read full answer

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there ongoing abuse or harassment? How recent?

No abuse, no relationship other than sleeping over. Everything is on text messages, no verbal abuse or treats besides the ones coming from the petitioner. Both parts were in Florida during text exchange, yet it was filed in nj after petitioner moved to nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Were the police called? What happened?

No police involved. Petitioner doesn’t want to return belongings.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a threat of violence from petitioner and friends

4/9/2019
M. Jacob Mihalov

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm a Legal Expert, I may be able to help with this question.

OK, so you have a few options, but both are going to require you to go back to the jurisdiction in which it's filed to appear at a hearing. First, I would make sure you have the correct date and time for the "permanent" restraining order hearing that is scheduled after someone applies for a restraining order. Just call the judge or court in which the restraining order was filed. Appear at this hearing and 1) Challenge the Jurisdiction if the event "allegedly happened" in a different jurisdiction and 2) appear and speak for yourself if the hearing gets past the jurisdictional challenge. Restraining order hearings are fairly open and the judge usually allows both parties to speak freely at certain times.

Hope that helped. Please take the time to rate and review my answer. It's no additional cost to you and it is how we get credit for our answers. Thanks!

Allegedly happened in Florida w both parties in Florida
I never left Florida. The petitioner did. So I have to miss classes and work and spend money fly/drive to nj?

You MAY be able to hire an attorney to make an argument on your behalf. But it will really be up to the judge in NJ if they will let you waive your appearance. If they don't let you waive your appearance, there will be a restraining order issued in your absence.

M. Jacob Mihalov
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a ex fiance that still lives in the same house I do
I have a ex fiance that still lives in the same house I do see keep treating me verbally and by text. She cheated on me and decided it would be a good idea to bring the one she cheated on me with to m… read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
My ex girlfriend has filed an unlawful restraining order
My ex girlfriend has filed an unlawful restraining order against me … read more
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Managing Partner,
I have an active restraining order against my husband and we
Hi there. I have an active restraining order against my husband and we have a hearing on Tuesday. He is texting my friend saying that I have violate the order but I haven't and that he is going to pre… read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I'm actually contacting you for a friend. Her husband has
I'm actually contacting you for a friend. Her husband has been committing adultery for six months now. She has pages and pages of harassing text messages from him, some of which I have seen, and they … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I am wanting to get a restraining order dissolved how do I
I am wanting to get a restraining order dissolved how do I remove it in Hamilton County the petitioner wishes to remove the restraining order to … read more
LegalGems
LegalGems
I have an abusive ex-partner who is threatening to make
Hello. I have an abusive ex-partner who is threatening to make false accusations of domestic violence against me. She has already done some damage to my life by convincing my friends that I did things… read more
Adam Yarussi
Adam Yarussi
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My ex boyfriend filed a false restraining order against me.
My ex boyfriend filed a false restraining order against me. The hearing is in 4 days and I have not yet been served by the sherif. I found out about the TRO by going to the courthouse and looking up m… read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
I am the respondent in a Restraining order that was falsely
I am the respondent in a Restraining order that was falsely accused in order to obtain the petition. Can the petitioner remove or damage items in the home that was shared but he does not own? Can they… read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
I just got served with a restraining order. There was no
I just got served with a restraining order. There was no violence involved, just some text messages that were misconstrued as a possible threat. The ex girlfriend filed it but I walked out on her and … read more
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Attorney,
About a week ago I got in to an online argument on Facebook
About a week ago I got in to an online argument on Facebook about politics with a person I didn't know on a mutual acquaintances page. A few days later (this previous weakened) he messaged me on my pe… read more
Lawyer,
I need someone to represent me in court, because I do not
I need someone to represent me in court, because I do not have enough evidence to support my claim to the court that I am being harassed. The defendants live with me and regularly engage in domestic v… read more
AttyDort
AttyDort
Attorney at Law,
1- Right before the temporary injunction against me was to
1- Right before the temporary injunction against me was to be dissolved, my ex-wife's attorney filed a new motion of contempt of court, with the same judge who issued the DV injunction. 2- My ex-wife'… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
I hope a CRIMINAL attorney will help me. Here are my questions:I
I hope a CRIMINAL attorney will help me. Here are my questions: I understand that Domestic violence is indeed acceptable (with 0 TOLLERANCE), and It can rise to be a CRIME. But, there are COPY CATS; a… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Hi I have a dilemma. So I dated someone for two years on and
Hi I have a dilemma. So I dated someone for two years on and off. While dating we both found out her 15 yo sister was in a relationship with a 25 yo. She allowed her sister to sleep with the guy at he… read more
my mother in law, who lives out of state, called 911 on me
my mother in law, who lives out of state, called 911 on me claiming I threatened her daughter. I never did this and the responding officer did not arrest me. I voluntarily left the house that night, j… read more
Lawyer,
attorney letters to a relative of an accused person
An attorney sent a threatening letter to the spouse of a person who was accused of breaking an HOA rule. The spouse had nothing to do with the situation. The spouse was very upset by this and actually… read more
dkennedy
dkennedy
Attorney,
I was wondering if there is any legal recourse for me if someone
I was wondering if there is any legal recourse for me if someone is txting me telling me they are going to put a restraining order against me for txts I have sent which are not insulting or malicious,… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney,
My girlfriend and I are having problems with her ex, he is ...
My girlfriend and I are having problems with her ex, he is verbally abusive and threating to both her and I. He lives over 800 miles away and I thought that would keep him from presenting a problem. H… read more
Lawgirl
Lawgirl
Founder,