Criminal Law

If a police officer has a warrant, will they be able to

Customer Question
Hi, if a police...

Hi, if a police officer has a warrant, will they be able to search both a car and an apartment

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the basis for the warrant? Was there probable cause?

Yes, there was an emergency situation where someone was smoking and... Read full answer

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the basis for the warrant? Was there probable cause?

Yes, there was an emergency situation where someone was smoking and had a panic attack, at the time we thought was a seizure, which led us to call the ambulance

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Search and seizure laws can vary by state.

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is anonymous correct?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/31/2019
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

The officer would either need 2 search warrants, one for the car and one for the apartment, or a warrant that commanded a search of both of those locations.

I hope this information is helpful.

Based off of the situation, what would be the best course of action to take?The substance that he smoked wasn't actually ours, but it was at our apartment.

The defendant can file a motion to suppress the evidence based on the presumptively illegal warrantless search.

Due to the emergency situation and the scent of the illegal substance, would that not be probable cause for the search?The officer did detain some contraband, although not much at all, after asking us repeatedly where it was. Also, if the officer who was at the scene was affiliated with a different town different from where the search and seizure was committed, would that make the evidence dismissed?

I don't know if such a minor emergency would justify a warrantless search of the apartment and vehicle, but it seems doubtful. A panic attack is not much of an emergency for anyone other than the person undergoing it.

An officer outside his or her jurisdiction can make only those arrests that a private citizen could make.

You can get a free consultation from some of the criminal defense attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Can the police get a search warrant for an anonymous
Can the police get a search warrant for an anonymous internet account? … read more
Lawyer,
Guy I use to work with a year ago stop me tell me to give
Guy I use to work with a year ago stop me tell me to give him a ride.i take him to apartment complex police office walks to my car and ask what I'm doing there I tell him I'm waiting on someone.so the… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Can a officer impound a car if it was not where I was
Can a officer impound a car if it was not where I was detained? And can they search a car that is not in the arrestee name? … read more
Patrick H
Patrick H
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
My son had outstanding warrants and was pulled over during a
My son had outstanding warrants and was pulled over during a traffic stop. He said the officer approached the car, opened the door and told my son to get the f**k out of the car. My son asked why, wha… read more
Attorney,
My son's car and his grandfather's truck were taken to the
My son's car and his grandfather's truck were taken to the City of Columbia impound almost two weeks ago. The officers claimed that those vehicles were used to shoot up a section 48 neighborhood. My s… read more
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson
I believe my son was illegally searched because a body
I believe my son was illegally searched because a body cavity search was done upon stopping a car he was sitting in. Can you give me some insight on illegal search and seizure? … read more
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I called for an ambulance and police also showed up. They
I called for an ambulance and police also showed up. They searched and found a closed eye glass case with a baggie containing trace amounts of amphetamine in it. I was taken to hospital by ambulance. … read more
JKEsq
JKEsq
Managing Firm Partner,
I have a question regarding a routine traffic stop search
I have a question regarding a routine traffic stop search and seizure of prescription drugs and marijuana … read more
DanLegal
DanLegal
Law Partner,
I was pulled over in Alabama for an illegal window tint and
I was pulled over in Alabama for an illegal window tint and was issued a warning. the cop then stated I appear nervous and request to search my wife's car. I said no k9 came out. nothing was found in … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
The cops stopped a car for a Liscence plate light being out;and
The cops stopped a car for a Liscence plate light being out;and the car is registrard to a Liscence and insured driver ;however the driver has no Liscence but has sr22 bound and full coverage.QUESTION… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I crashed my car into my garage door while having a seizure.
I crashed my car into my garage door while having a seizure. While in the ER after awakening from the seizure, a DEA agent entered stating that the EMT's had entered my house to search for medicine. M… read more
On 30 Nov., 2012, I called 911 for an ambulance (I had taken
On 30 Nov., 2012, I called 911 for an ambulance (I had taken an overdose of sleeping pills). The Police officers who accompanied the EMTs came in first (I had no way of knowing who was where) followed… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
i am being charged with possession of methamphetamine for sales (HS 11378) and possession
i am being charged with possession of methamphetamine for sales (HS 11378) and possession of a dangerous drug (HS 11350). when the police came to my house they got me out of the bathtub & wearing only… read more
What does it mean when on the court website - Case informations
What does it mean when on the court website - Case informations section it says : 1. "PET WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS" 2. "SEARCH/SEIZURE WARRANT RETD" 3. "ENTRY OF APPEARANCE"… read more
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker
my friends house got raided but the search warrant had the
my friend's house got raided but the search warrant had the wrong address and he was taken to jail and the dad was not given the search warrant for about an hour after they took his son to jail. They … read more
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
Lawyer,
can an officer come to a home for parking defraction observe
can an officer come to a home for parking defraction observe pipes on coffee table call for back up then bust unlocked door open without search warrant. (state of alabama) then search home and arest o… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Is it a Fourth Amendment violation when the police search my
Is it a Fourth Amendment violation when the police search my purse without my permission and out of my line of sight?Long story, but I was strapped in an ambulance on a phony 5150 charge (Divorce wars… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
If police receive a phone call to report that they believe
If police receive a phone call to report that they believe they saw someone smoking marijuana in a motor vehice parked in a public parking lot and when the person returns to the vehicle and the police… read more