Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

Is it a crime for someone to access another persons online

Is it a crime for someone to access another persons online storage like a Dropbox or other cloud based platform without their consent and then delete files from that storage? Also if this access was provided by an employer by passing along used hardware without first wiping it clean would they also be at blame?
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if that's legal. Where are you located? These laws vary by state.
Customer: Maryland
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all I need to know.

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you in this matter.

Accessing information , a database or emails without the consent of the owner is going to be a breach of cyber hacking and privacy laws.

For example; the following section outlaws hacking:

"

c) (1) A person may not intentionally, willfully, and without authorization:

(i) access, attempt to access, cause to be accessed, or exceed the person’s authorized access to all or part of a computer network, computer control language, computer, computer software, computer system, computer service, or computer database; or

(ii) copy, attempt to copy, possess, or attempt to possess the contents of all or part of a computer database accessed in violation of item (i) of this paragraph.

(2) A person may not commit an act prohibited by paragraph (1) of this subsection with the intent to:

(i) cause the malfunction or interrupt the operation of all or any part of a computer, computer network, computer control language, computer software, computer system, computer service, or computer data; or

(ii) alter, damage, or destroy all or any part of data or a computer program stored, maintained, or produced by a computer, computer network, computer software, computer system, computer service, or computer database.

(3) A person may not intentionally, willfully, and without authorization:

(i) possess, identify, or attempt to identify a valid access code; or

(ii) publicize or distribute a valid access code to an unauthorized person.

(4) A person may not commit an act prohibited under this subsection with the intent to interrupt or impair the functioning of:

(i) the State government;

(ii) a service, device, or system related to the production, transmission, delivery, or storage of electricity or natural gas in the State that is owned, operated, or controlled by a person other than a public service company, as defined in § 1–101 of the Public Utilities Article; or"

It is something that can be reported to law enforcement and/or a claim can be filed in the civil court for a violation of privacy rights.

If you need any further assistance please follow up with me today, here to help.

Just a reminder I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time in assisting you.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is very helpful information what is your opinion on the 2nd part of my question. Is the employer responsible for protecting the information on a computer before passing it along to a different employee?

This comes down to who is in ownership of the information and account.

If the employer is provided you a license of use, it is according to that license that governs his responsibility to you.

This will be contained somewhere in your contract.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It was my paid personal account that was accessed. After I left my last job my computer was given to a coworker and that coworker is who has accessed my information and delete my files.

There appears to be some responsibility in that case for misappropriation and conversion of your property without your consent.

It is something you could pursue in civil court.

Best

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you this is very helpful

Your welcome, thanks for your positive feedback ,

Attorney Bill