Criminal Law

I have a question about the case law specifically related to…

I have a question about...
I have a question about the case law specifically related to the 'Search incident arrest laws" for Maryland. If a person is pulled over in a vehicle, told he/she was stopped for an illegal lane change, then told that because the officer THINKS he smells alcohol he is taken out of the vehicle. given a field sobriety test (passes), then... Read full answer
I have a question about the case law specifically related to the 'Search incident arrest laws" for Maryland. If a person is pulled over in a vehicle, told he/she was stopped for an illegal lane change, then told that because the officer THINKS he smells alcohol he is taken out of the vehicle. given a field sobriety test (passes), then given a breathalyzer (passes), asked to wait standing outside the vehicle about 10 feet behind the bumper. THEN after about 10 total minutes outside the car during which time another officer is seen and heard calling the vehicles license tag in and 10 minutes later he is told he is being arrested for a stolen license plate. THEN the officers search the inside of the vehicle, the trunk and a locked bank bag and allegedly find items that they claim to be illegal. My question is should the search incident arrest still apply since the person was OUTSIDE of the vehicle for a long time, the item they claim was stolen was on the outside of the car and ALSO they DID NOT TOW the vehicle as it was legally parked in a parking space so saying they searched it for inventory does not apply.
6/6/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No, this is no search incident to arrest and also it is likely to be contrary to the US Supreme Court case in Arizona v. Gant, where the court said they cannot use such an arrest or detention as a pretext for inventory search. Based on what you are saying it sounds like they fabricated claims in order to try to search without a warrant. Based on the description you provided of the incident, this sounds like this falls under Gant and would provide for any evidence found to be suppressed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your answer, two things , First, What Maryland case law would be quoted pertaining to this situation?Second: yes i believe they were looking for ANY reason to search. But of course the officer changed the official arrest report to show him claiming that he pulled the suspect over AFTER he did a random TAG CHECK. thats hard to disprove beyond any doubt. thoughts I will tip you by the way

Thank you for your reply.

The answer is not Maryland law, it is the US SUPREME COURT, Arizona v. Gant, 556 U.S. 332 (2009). also United States v. Ross, 456 U.S. 798 (1982), where the court says that the police cannot just make searches of vehicles without probable cause.

Random tag check or lane change is not probable cause that the vehicle contained contraband.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
z Of course FEDERAL Caselaw always trumps state but I was curious if there was a particular state law that applies. Thanks for your answer. Just for my own curiosity I’m going to ask another question about them searching the trunk and the locked bank bag ASSUMING they had PROBABLE CAUSE to search the interior of the car for the arrest. But I’ll do that or another question so you can get credit for two. Thank you

Thank you for your reply. No need for another question on the trunk and locked bag.

There is no specific MD statute that applies.

The cases I have given you apply to trunks and US v. Ross answers that issue.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Is it legal for a canine unit to search your car WITHOUT
Is it legal for a canine unit to search your car WITHOUT probable cause and reasonable suspicion ? … read more
Lawyer,
I had a question that was answered already but there is a
I had a question that was answered already but there is a related second part I want to be CLEAR about. Its about the case law specifically related to the 'Search incident arrest laws" for Maryland. H… read more
Lawyer,
My son was pulled over driving too close to a trooper if you
my son was pulled over for supposedly driving too close to a trooper if you can believe that. the trooper slowed down and eventually stopped, so he obviously got very close when the vehicle in front o… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I was stopped by the Police because they wanted to search my car. They followed me and I
I was stopped by the Police because they wanted to search my car. They followed me and I got so nervous I failed to use my turn signal. I was arrested for a traffic violation (No Turn Signal!) just so… read more
Criminal Defense Law,
Are there any US Supreme Court rulings that would permit an
Are there any US Supreme Court rulings that would permit an officer to inspect the contents of your engine bay without a warrant?… read more
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq.
Attorney,
I purchased a dodge ram 2500 extended cab from an auction
I purchased a dodge ram 2500 extended cab from an auction that aprox 50 to 75 percent of the vehicles are from police impounds , the truck was not drivable so I had a tow truck pick it up and deliver … read more
Partner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
i need to know if the police can confiscate my cell phone wi
i need to know if the police can confiscate my cell phone with out a warrant . Or with out arresting me. I also need to know if there is a amunity law for a witness that was part of the some crime.… read more
Litigation Attorney,
My 20 year old son pled guilty to a drug paraphernalia charge
My 20 year old son pled guilty to a drug paraphernalia charge in May of 2010 and was entered into a diversion program. He successfully completed said diversion, and the charges were dismissed and the … read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
My son was stopped while driving my car. The officer said the
My son was stopped while driving my car. The officer said the tabs were expired. They are still good for 6 month. Another officer arrived adn said he "smelled" pot while the other officer. My son was … read more
So my boyfriend was driving my car one night and a cop got
So my boyfriend was driving my car one night and a cop got behind him and followed him for about 2-3 miles. He got out of the car at wal-mart the officer was on foot &approached him& asked his name. H… read more
Jack R.
Jack R.
Partner,
Is it lagal for a police officer to move my car without my
Is it lagal for a police officer to move my car without my permission after I am under arresr for dui and and in the ack of a police car at the time? Is this an act of search and seizure and is this u… read more
David C. Garner
David C. Garner
Attorney,
Situation Car with teenagers pulled over. Officer claimed
Situation: Car with teenagers pulled over. Officer claimed "smell of alcohol." but none of the kids had been drinking. Driver passed roadside coordination, but was never administered a breathalyzer, w… read more
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Hammer O\u0027Justice
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
My son was arrested after a trafficn stop. He was asked to
My son was arrested after a trafficn stop. He was asked to go to the troopers car and was asked questions and after all this the cop searched his car, found illegal guns belonging to the passange who … read more
lawlady
lawlady
Assistant District Attorney,
I do not trust the cops in my town. I let someone use my vehicle
I do not trust the cops in my town. I let someone use my vehicle and the person I let use my car got arrested on a warrant for failure to appear for a traffic case. the cop searched my vehicle for no … read more
My son was stopped for a traffic violation in Utah and was
My son was stopped for a traffic violation in Utah and was arrested for DUI , mushrooms found in his pocket and drug paraphenelia in his car. We hired an attorney. The police trooper admitted that it … read more
A police drug task force was conducting survelliance at ...
A police drug task force was conducting survelliance at McDonalds. A person called me for weed. I drove my friend to McDonalds and he sold a 1/2 8th to him. The deal happened outside of my car and not… read more
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer
Attorney,
Illegal search of a vehicle. Son picked up for underage ...
Illegal search of a vehicle. Son picked up for underage and they asked to search the car which he said he couldn''t give permission because it was his dad''s car. He said this twice even though they s… read more
Legal Professional
Legal Professional
I was followed by a civilian vehicle for about 30 minutes, ...
I was followed by a civilian vehicle for about 30 minutes, never once speeding. The driver of the trailing vehicle communicated with law enforcement apparently saying that I was swerving. After 30 min… read more
4ren6
4ren6
Retired,