Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had an ring stolen in Pennsylvania a pawn shop in Maryland…

Customer Question
I had an ring...

I had an ring stolen in Pennsylvania a pawn shop in Maryland sold it before I reported it stolen. I was told by the police it was up to the pawn shop to contact their customer and it’s up to the customer if they want to sell it back. This is my 22yr old engagement ring I really want the ring back not the money. What are my rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a PA lawyer about this?

No just wandering I’df it’s worthwhile it’s not a terribly valuable ring more sentimental

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing the trooper just told me tonight that my ring was not among the stolen items recovered at the pawn shop

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with this question.

Your contractual right against the pawn broker is under the pawn agreement that you signed with the broker and this needs to be reviewed by your lawyer. The shop should be insured in cases of robbery; that said sentimental value is more difficult to recover in the law as the law places monetary value on things rather than sentimental value, including personal injuries are all monetized under the law.

The prospect of recovering sentimental value is really only available against the robber that committed the crime and he can be sued in civil court; or if the pawn agreement allowed sentimental value then you could sue the broker under the agreement for more than the actual value.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return by rating positively today my reply I get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or accept.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

I didn’t sign an agreement with the pawn shop the criminal did.