Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

At the age of 10, in 1991 I was molested by an older cousin…

At the age of...

At the age of 10, in 1991 I was molested by an older cousin in Polk County, Texas. Can I pursue civil or criminal charges against the perpetrator today?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the molestation charges?

None.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

No, I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope, that's it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

The statute of limitations in the state of Texas for a civil lawsuit for childhood sexual assault is 15 years from your eighteenth birthday.

With regards ***** ***** criminal case for childhood sexual assault or indecency with a child Texas has no statute of limitations.

If you would like to pursue criminal charges, you should set up a meeting with a local prosecutor.

It does not cost you anything to meet with the prosecutor or to have a criminal case filed and prosecuted.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Nisha Jones
Even though the crime occurred prior to the 2015 change on the statute of limitations, would I still be able to pursue?

The applicable amendment removing the statute of limitations took place in 2007, but unfortunately it is not retroactively applied.

Since you were a minor at the time the incident took place though, the statute of limitations would have extended for 20 years past your 18th birthday under Article 12.05 (5) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.

See:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CR/htm/CR.12.htm

You should consider meeting with a local prosecutor to discuss the possibility of filing criminal charges.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your time, effort and help. It is beyond appreciated.

Of course. No problem.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!