Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What are my rights if someone one has stolen my email

account and I know who...
What are my rights if someone one has stolen my email account and I know who they are? I filed a complaint with the WY Natrona County Sheriffs department and they seem to have done nothing about it. What can I say to them to encourage them to take action. I know there has to be rights I have and possibly laws that have been broken by the theft of of this. Since I have know idea as to what they have used my email account for which is also attached to my google + online identity, in my opinion this has to constitute online identity theft and an invasion of my privacy.
5/31/2018
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

I'm presuming that you've changed all your passwords.

Every state has laws against cybercrime, identity theft, and computer fraud. In Wyoming, Wyoming Statutes Section 6-3-901 makes Identity Theft either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on whether an "economic benefit" was obtained, or attempted to be obtained, by the thief. Identity theft is committed by the use of someone's personal identifying information (which includes an email address) for any unlawful purpose. Someone who impersonates you by using your email but does not attempt any other crime (the "unlawful purpose") is guilty of a misdemeanor, Section 6-3-902.

Stay in touch with the sheriff's investigator. Ask them if they are pursuing a case or not. Ask them if there are other law enforcement agencies you can contact if they don't want to do their job.

Contact the Attorney General's office criminal division in Cheyenne,(###) ###-#### Tell them what's going on.

Make an ID theft complaint to https://www.identitytheft.gov/

Consider filing an invasion of privacy lawsuit against the offender. Speak with a local tort lawyer.

The most significant aspect of an ID theft is if you were deprived of property as a result, and the extent of any inconvenience that resulted. Sometimes the effects of an ID theft are not even discovered for days, weeks, or months after the fact.

If the thief used your email account to transact business over the internet, you may have a federal offense that can be investigated by the FBI. They investigate any violations of an interstate nature and any criminal violations of the U.S. Code relating to wire fraud.

Contact the FBI at(###) ###-#### or online at www.fbi.gov.

Hope that helped. There is a lot to do when your privacy has been breached. You should also check with the three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) to make sure nothing unusual is happening with your credit profile.

Please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge. Thank you for using Just Answer!

James Daloisio
Thank you for the answer Jim. At this point I'm not sure if they have used the email or the online identity to cause any harm to me as I have not been able to recover the account through Google, they changed all the security questions, passwords, date of birth, etc. They originally hacked the email account through a computer at my ex-employer to see if there were any emails sent in regard to the new business I started with another ex-employee. However since this email account was link to my Google + account, they now have access to my photos, back up documents, etc. Some of the photos are quiet private and personal in nature. Also they also would have access to any websites stored that I visited etc. They did attempt to hack my Amazon account which we caught in time, they also hacked my Microsoft account and hotmail account and did the same thing to it, however they did this while I happened to be in the process of typing an email. The history showed the IP address of where this was taking place which is the same IP address of my ex-employer, so I drove there and got a video of them through the window of my old office at my old computer. I was able to recover that account but they had several hours to go through those emails which did actually contain information in regards ***** ***** new business, correspondence with vendors, customers, business partner, etc. This all took place after I left employment there, after I recovered that account I placed additional security on it and was notified that they attempted to access the account the following morning. Again thank you so much for your help and finding me the exact WY statues any additional input you could provide, now that you have additional information would be so greatly appreciated.
Phone call session started

Hello again,

Pleasure speaking with you. I'll try to be brief and organized, but thorough:

1. Your former employer's conduct with regard to their workers compensation policies. Discouraging workers from filing claims is a violation. Paying injured workers out of company funds in lieu of allowing a workers compensation claim is a violation. Firing people for making claims is a violation. All of this activity should be reported as prohibited conduct to the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services. Here is a link to their fraud reporting page:

http://www.wyomingworkforce.org/contact/fraud/

2. Your termination of employment sounds like it was in retaliation for your husband's workers compensation claim. This is an interesting legal issue; can the employer be held liable for retaliating against you for a claim made by your spouse? Or alternatively, can this be characterized as a direct retaliation against your husband (firing you) because he's unable to work full time and you're now unemployed.

A. You have to start with a complaint to the Wyoming Dept. of Workforce Services (DWS). Here's their field office in Casper:

• 851 Werner Court, #120, Casper, WY 82601
  • (307)(###) ###-####/li>
  • (307)(###) ###-####Fax
  • Or call: Jason Wolfe, Administrator for Office of Standards and Compliance,(###) ###-####/li>

3. Your employer while having the right to examine their computer hardware and software, which includes looking at your personal accounts that you voluntarily made available on their equipment, does NOT have the right to illegally access your accounts, change your passwords, etc. That is a violation of the statutes that I've cited previously and should be reported.

4. I was only able to locate two attorneys in Casper specializing in employment law and civil rights: Roger Shumate and James Worthen (must be partners) 201 N Wolcott St., Casper, WY 82601; Telephone:(###) ###-#### Fax:(###) ###-#### There are a few more scattered around the outlying areas, most of the others are in Cheyenne.

Feel free to post additional questions here. I'll leave the thread open. If you cannot, for some reason get into this thread, my email address is:

jdatbs77 @ gmail . com

Thank you so much Jim, all this information has made my decision to go ahead and assert my rights under the law much easier. I'll keep you posted as to what happens next. Thank you again!

Yes, keep me informed...good luck!