Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If a police officer comes to your house and requests that…

Customer Question
If a police officer...

If a police officer comes to your house and requests that when you get home you come to the dept for questioning do you have to go ? We have no idea why .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

They didn’t say why but the only thing possible is my son did donuts in his car at a friends , no crash no injuries, that’s the only possible thing . If that’s it will he be arrested if he goes to answer their question?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Never even had a traffic ticket , never been in any trouble . Can you be arrested for this if someone saw you and called the police ?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/31/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 24 days ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Absolutely not... And you shouldn't go unless you are accompanied by an attorney. The reason police want to interview people is to either get evidence against them or against someone else. And you have zero legal duty to help the police prosecute yourself or someone else.

.

So you (or son) definitely do not want to go down to answer any questions. If they have enough evidence to arrest someone, let them do it, but don't make it easier on them to do so by answering any questions for them.

.

And if someone is detained, do not say anything at all, ask for an attorney to represent you..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
2 officers came to the door and asked for him , we stated he was at work and at that point thr oficer handed ne a card and asked him to call or come to the station . My son called him from work snd the officer told him he wont give him any info on the phone because he doesnt know who hes talking to , he then told him to come to the dept . My son let him know that he works at a refinery and is on a shutdown and doesn't know when he will get a day off . So should he go and see what the officer wants . Honestly he s squeeky clean 20 yr old that has bever ever been in trouble at all , all he can assume is he did donuts in his car the other night while at his friends . He knows it was stupid but nothing happened . Would they reslly arrest someone for this ? So worried .

So should he go and see what the officer wants

.

No.., I can't really make it any clearer... it is never good news when the police want to talk to you... they aren't going to hand him a $500 certificate for being a great citizen.... they investigate crimes and criminal actions..

.

The only thing he can do is hurt himself by going and giving them any info at all..

.

I mean do what you want, but with my 17 years of criminal defense practice I would strongly suggest he doesn't..

.

.

thanks

Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 21 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much