Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Im being accused of theft in new jersey but i live in new…

Customer Question
Hi, im being accused...

Hi, im being accused of theft in new jersey but i live in new york, what happens if the person files a report?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

This just happened 2 days ago and i still dont know if a report has been filed, can i get arrested or will the person take me to court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NJ lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was working for the person thats accusing me and i dont know what he is telling the police, state troopers even stopped my new boss to ask questions about me

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 21 days ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hello

If they report the alleged theft, the police will investigate and determine if there is a basis to arrest and charge. If there is no, nothing will come from this and it will be closed. If there is evidence to support this, the police may contact you and try and speak with you about this and ask that you turn yourself in or advise a warrant for your arrest, will be issued.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The police called me and they told me they wanted to hear my version, i asked that they call me in an hour so i can talk freely and they never called back, they told its a civil issue, now if i want to talk to the police and give them my side of the story how do i call them if i dont have the officers number? Should i ask the guy thats accusing me for the number or should i get a lawyer?

If this is a civil case, the police do not need to get involved, since the person would have to file a lawsuit against you. If the police want to speak with you, they will call you back when they are free to talk, as they are not just sitting by the phone watching the clock.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Should i get a lawyer?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Would it be fine if i called the person accusing me and ask him for the officers phone number?

You can call and ask them but if you know the department, you can just call on your own. It is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel and you should be you are concerned and worried.

Anything you tell them can be used against you, so you need to be aware of statements made to them.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
i should get a lawyer and let the lawyer handle this?

Yes, most certainly.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hey guess what happened now, somebody sent a message to my wife through facebook telling her to tell me to give myself in because they are looking for me in a bad way
Sorry to hear it has escalated to this and the person should be ignored. The police would not do this so it is someone else who knows and could be trying to mess with you and scare you. Retain a criminal defense attorney and direct all communication to them. Thank you again and if there is nothing else I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time. Thank you.
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 17 days ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!