Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am trying to find out what the penalty is for leaving the…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out what the penalty is for leaving the scene of an accident where there was bodily injury in pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a PA lawyer about this yet?

Notyet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
thank you

I am sorry to hear this;

if there are no injuries then it is a misdemeanor;

if serious injuries then a felony in the third degree (90 days jail, $1,000 fine minimum)

if death, it is a felony in the second degree (3 years, $2500 minimum)

Please see statutes:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=75&div=0&chpt=37&sctn=43&subsctn=0

3743. Accidents involving damage to attended vehicle or property.

(a) General rule.--The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible but shall forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of section 3744 (relating to duty to give information and render aid). Every stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

(b) Penalty.--Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the third degree, punishable by a fine of $2,500 or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both.

(July 6, 1995, P.L.288, No.42, eff. 60 days)

Also please see:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/75/00.037.044.000..HTM

Criminal Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

Hello;

just checking in on the above.

If you have no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it - there is no additional charge to do so.

Thank you and take care!

All information is for educational purposes only; to consult with a personal attorney that can provide legal advice based on the particulars of your case, please contact:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html