Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can you get in trouble if somebody goes in your car and you…

Customer Question
Can you get in...

Can you get in trouble if somebody goes in your car and you leave a message on the other person phone about you jumping on them

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges haven’t been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Georgia

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/30/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Can you please clarify, was this a voicemail left on the other person's phone? Threatening to harm them?

What exactly was said? Thanks!

I will jump on them if they continue bothering me
But you can get in trouble depending on what you say correct
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for clarifying. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

I’ll have to pass
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I'm typing up your answer now, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

No, what you've described does not quite rise to the level of an assault.

An assault occurs when someone attempts to commit a violent act against someone else, or when they place them in a situation where it's reasonable that injury can occur.

Physical contact is not actually required if the threat is made an attempt is made to carry it out.

Again though, based on the information you've shared, this doesn't quite rise to the level of an assault. Rather, you were responding to someone that had entered your personal vehicle.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Couldn’t I go to jail for harassment though
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

No, if this is an isolated incident where someone had entered your personal vehicle and you're asking them to leave you or your personal property alone, then no this would not be classified as harassment.

If you were to call repeatedly or sent multiple texts or social media messages after being asked not to, then that could be considered harassment.

However based on what you've described, no this would not be harassment.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Even though you say you will put hands on them because he said he was going to press charges against me for harassment
Sorry I just want to make sure I’m clear on this
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

No problem. No this would not be grounds for harassment.

Hope that helps clarify! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate before leaving, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!