Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Do i need to say yes to the questions "have you been

Do i need to...

Do i need to say yes to the questions "have you been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to a misdemeanor or felony, including defferred sentences if i signed a diversion agreement that ended 12/16

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

Domestic battery, I finished the diversion program and I believe the case was dismissed.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the battery occur?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so.

The situation happened in Kansas but I live in Colorado. Not sure if that makes a difference.
5/30/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You answer no here.

Criminal Diversion Program

Diversion is available for defendants charged with certain criminal offenses. The program enables the defendant to avoid a conviction while being held accountable for their offense through supervision, payment of costs and fines, payment of restitution, participation in educational programs, and other requirements as warranted. Upon successful completion of the program, charges are dismissed.

If you completed the program the charges were dismissed and no conviction here so you can answer no.There was no conviction here.Thats hte beauty of diversion.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Is diversion and deferred the same thing?

I sent you an answer to your other posted question.Thanks

Sorry one last clarification and I wont bother you anymore. So when it says "including deferred sentences" that does not apply to me, since I completed my diversion program and the case was dismissed?

Yes it does no conviction here, you have none and can say no on the applications. I would not report this, I think your case was dismissed here.This was a good outcome for you,thanks

When they do a background check will the arrest record show up even though the case was dismissed?

"Including deferred sentences language here", I think you will have to say yes, if they have access to your arrest record they can see it.

Consider a lawyer locally to seal the arrest record for the future.

Considering they have yet to do a background check, if I get the arrest sealed, will they be able to see the arrest then? And which should I be looking expunged or sealed?

No they would not if it is sealed here and thats real good idea for you since you weren't convicted.

I found out my records cannot be expunged or sealed till three years after I finished my probation. Is domestic battery; Knowing/reckless bodily harm 3rd, considered a misdemeanor or felony?

Felony here

t is an aggravated battery in Kansas to:

• knowingly or recklessly cause great bodily harm or disfigurement to another (severity level 4 felony, or level 5 if reckless)
  • knowingly or recklessly cause bodily harm to another with a deadly weapon or in any manner that might cause great bodily harm, disfigurement, or death (severity level 7 felony, or level 8 if reckless)
  • knowingly cause offensive physical contact with another with a deadly weapon or in any manner that might cause great bodily harm, disfigurement, or death (severity level 7 felony), or
  • driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol that either results in great bodily harm, disfigurement, or death (severity level 5 felony), or results in bodily harm with a possibility of causing great bodily harm, disfigurement, or death (severity level 8 felony).

(Kan. Stat. Ann. § 21-5413.)

Acting Knowingly or Recklessly

In Kansas, a person acts “knowingly” when a person is aware that his conduct is reasonably certain to cause a particular result. For example, if a person shoots a victim in the chest with a powerful handgun, it is reasonably certain that the resulting injury would cause great bodily harm or death.

A person acts “recklessly” when the person consciously disregards ***** ***** and unjustifiable risk that circumstances exist or that a result will follow, and such disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise in the situation. For example, drag racing on crowded city streets would be viewed as acting recklessly.

(Kan. Stat. Ann. § 21-5202.)