Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have an active warrant from 2007 for larceny in the state…

Customer Question
I have an active...

I have an active warrant from 2007 for larceny in the state of Arkansas is there not a statute of limitations on that charge

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the larceny charges?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AR lawyer about this yet?

I was stopped for speeding and the warrant showed up....No I havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The trooper said that I would only be arrested if I was 100 miles from the warrant location ..warrant is from 2007 I havent lived in Arkansas since 1999

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Nate, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Statues of limitations apply to the charging of a crime. Once a crime is charged, a warrant is issued. A warrant can exist forever. So, there is no time limit on serving a warrant.

it sounds like you weren't arrested. That is good. Now you know the situation.

Now this if for future reference. If you are within 100 miles, the priority is finding an attorney to defend the old charge. Because of its age, it may be easily defended. For instance, the witnesses may be hard to find, the victim no longer care, etc. But you do have to eventually go to court and defend the accusation.

Fortunately, you weren't arrested. So now you have the knowledge it is out there. But it won't go away.