Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How does one stop the city harassment? A need for safety by…

Customer Question
How does one stop...

How does one stop the city harassment? A need for safety by the local police is only returned by a business card and their answer is we can only prosecute if they are told by the person doing it. having a personal confession.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have harassment charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Not yet . I do not know how or the procedure

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the harassment occur?

Oklahoma 73942

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This has happened for about every 3 months for the last 4 years

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
he should know the city has left two notices on my window . We were in the house. My son-in-law left for about 5 minutes. When he returned there was a notice to clean the property and a notice of hearing to declare property a nuisance. The hearing is to be on 14th day of June 2018, at 6:00 p.m.at city hall,424 N Main Street, Guymon, Oklahoma. Just the day before a friend and neighbor (Larry Colvin) had made the statement of how nice my property looked.
I have sent the city a registered letter asking for city ordinances and public nuances and hazards today (5-29-18). I ask to have them in 3 days. I was told the city should get the mail tomorrow. I am to get a certified mail by receipt. The city sent a letter stating that on 22 day of May,2018 they mailed by certified mail, #7016 1370 0002 0407 8075 and another #7016 1370 0002 0407 8068. I have received regular mail copies signed by the City Clerk and Code Enforcement Officer but no certified mail with return receipt. This seems to be a constant hassle from them every at least twice a year. I have talked to my neighbors and seems they have no problem with my property. Here in Guymon I am sure if you tell about a safety problem the local police will cause the one telling about it many problems city and police repercussions are assured. the example was a local used auto dealer parking his vehicles next to a fire hydrant and next to a city (highway) street blocking a clear view the intersection south . The state told the dealer across the street north to move his vehicles back and he put up a pipe rail so as not to violate the highway clearance. Any questions I will free to discuss them at your convience. The city set the hearing with no consideration and no personal contact or consideration for my health. Another concern is that since the city's moved its offices to another building therefore eliminating the drive up window for the handicapped and posting a drop box with no receipt available. You should look at its height.
Thanks ,
Bill
5/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 20 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Tell us exactly what it is they are doing please, in detail? Thank you

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
They are constantly harassing me about my property and any thing I try to ask. When I ask the police for any protection they tell that they will check more often. The result is a city sticker on my vehicles which thins used to remove them. I use them for my work. But as a retalliation they use a city ordinance that is told they use it to keep the vehicles abandon. You must move them at least every 24 hours. Especilly on weekends when i am known to leave town. When I Contacted the city manager he only caused other white friends of mine to be red tased. I know of no other races to redone this. I have some neighbors just east from my residence that have some vehicles the same opposite corner with more vehicles on the street and on their yard without tags. Mine are currently tagged. I have 5 vehicles which are tagged . Most are used for my masonry business and one I use usually for convience and trips. I am 76 years old and have lived at this residence since June 1 1967. Several years back I tore down a grain elevator and brought in some of the materials ( mostly 2x6x16 to 24 feet) when I had most of it cleaned and stacked around the perimeter the city caused me to agree for its removal by them. It was agreed they would hand load it and hand unload it. They did hand load it but placed a board under it and dumped it causing it to shatter, making it mostly unusable. It shortly disappeared. The lumber was considered as prime clear pine, fir, oak, and natural cedar and redwood. It was from a 20s railroad elevator when they were built 10 miles apart due to the RR need for water. It was about 6 ft high and 4 ft wide along the 63x150 ft fence line on the north and west side of my property. All I can and have done is to forgive and accept the results.
I am told by a former city council man that the rule needs to have grass more than 16 inches tall and heavy vegetated. My grass is almost existent. I am trying to seed buffalo grass for about 3 years with no luck.
I do not know what you need. Please call me to help clarify .

Thank you for your reply.

So it sounds like they are citing you for having an unkept or messy yard creating a nuisance, am I correct?

Have you gone to court on their citations yet to fight them?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
they seem to be but i have one of the best looking yards. A few years ago they did the same thing and i hired the now district attorney. He told them that there is no laws about yard ornaments. Since then they are constantly harassing me. I have a bath tub,ornnimal wind mill, block wall, in front of my dogs yard ( it is for warning about problems, ) My neighbor to the north (warner Mckinnon) has told me he appreciates the warnings. His dogs will bark also.
That is what they are using to harass. It is not correct as I try to keep my yard looking good, well mowed and all items are behind a solid 6 ft metal fence with some wood pickets covering the north side. They do not like the yard ornaments (wifes flower planters). Also they do not like my 1967 dodge since it is not a perfect restoration but is placed and on concrete blocks as the city has required. I was told that i could not have more vehicles than the number of licensed drivers. but iI use them for diverse parts of my work.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have 5 current vehicles, two of which are being kept a local impound yard with the permission of the owner. He is likewise agreeing with me that the city is harassing as many of my friends.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
The city will not explain to me the problems. Also they avoid any personal communication with the code enforcement officer or anyone with a complaint. I believe they need to tell me the problem so we can correctly
talk like humans and not hide behind letters. Like the officer? did not do anything to discuss it just like a coward he secretly stuck the notice with no contact when we were here.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have not reported any thefts since all I get is a fancy business card. We had a person steal 30 sections of cedar picket fence, the neighbor had it on his personal video. the police went to his house. the son-in law was washing dishes. By the time he got to the front door (he told about 2 minutes) both officers were across the street in their vehicles driving off. I later learned thru the grapevine the police knew who did it (refused to tell me or prosecute the party).
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 19 days ago

Thank you for your reply.

You have some multiple issues going on here. The first issue is what you call harassment for citing you for the nuisance violations for having junk in your yard. This is something you need to take to the court and fight in court where you were cited. The city does not need to tell you the specific problems, they can simply say your yard is a nuisance and eyesore and cite you. It is in court where they have to prove their case and you have the chance to refute their claims. Once you can prove in the court that the items about your yard to not constitute a violation of the local nuisance ordinance, THEN you have a possible claim against the police department for violation of your civil rights in harassing you by their continued citation for invalid reasons. You can even get an injunction against them to prevent them from continuing to cite you.

As far as the police not investigating the theft of your property and them knowing who did it, the police are exempt by state law from being sued for performance of their job. So, if they do not take action on your claims of theft, legally they cannot be sued. HOWEVER if you have some evidence to prove that they are involved with or know the person stealing from you and are protecting him or allowing him to do so, THIS is another issue and with that evidence you would have grounds to sue the department for their participating in the taking of your property without a warrant in violation of your 4th Amendment Rights.

So those are your options here based on the information you have provided.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.