Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of a non violent felony back in

Customer Question
I was convicted of...

I was convicted of a non violent felony back in 2007...everything I'm reading regarding to gun rights and possessing or owning a firearm are confusing...1 article says there is an automatic 15 yr rule...others state no felon may possess a firearm...also seen an article where it said as long as I'm not a violent felon my civil rights and gun rights were restored upon release from jail or probation....any help is greatly appreciated

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

3rd degree burglary....I had a public defender and was supposed to use my suspended imposition but it was never used....I've never went to the trouble of appealing or contacting a lawyer or court to see whether I can own a gun again

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the burglary occur?

South dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All I want is serious proof and knowledge how I can own a gun again without worrying about prison time

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
conviction date was 10/24/07....probation release date was around 03/11
5/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 22 days ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What was your felony?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
3rd degree burglary
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
in the state of south dakota
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
hello?

Hello. Please keep in mind that I have more than one customer and that you are not the only followup I have to get to. I take them in turn and I'm up to yours now. The answer also requires research and doesn't write itself. You don't need to sit there and watch the screen. JustAnswer will email you when I'm finished and have posted.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I apologize I've never done it this way

No problem. Just be patient. I'm really here and working on it. Interruptions, however, won't make it happen quicker. :)

If you have a non-violent felony, with the exception of certain drug felonies, you do not lose your gun rights in South Dakota. For the violent ones, you do, but the state of South Dakota will automatically restore your gun rights after 15 years, so long as you have no other felony convictions.

HOWEVER, you do lose your Federal gun rights by having a felony conviction. The Federal government requires a restoration of all your civil rights, which you do have, AND an expungement, a dismissal or a Pardon from your governor, in order to restore your Federal second amendment rights.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
because mine was a non violent felony my rights were restored upon release from probation in south dakota meaning I'm accepted federally as well?

No. Only the first half is true. You have your state rights. The Federal government will likely require a pardon, expungement or a set-aside before you can pass a NICs check.

You can apply and if you are denied on Federal grounds, you can appeal it by a showing that all your state rights were restored. But these days the Feds are stricter than ever, and you may be required to get a pardon to secure your Federal rights.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
governors pardon or presidential pardon....in order to get a pardon do I just meet with a lawyer that specializes in pardons or a normal criminal defense attorney
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
last question...regarding the federal govt. who do I contact to find out what I will need

Governor's pardon. You would only need a presidential pardon if this were a Federal offense.

A regular criminal lawyer would know how to apply for a pardon. You could even do it yourself, as no lawyer is necessary. https://doc.sd.gov/pardon/default.aspx The lawyer you contact about a pardon will know what is necessary to clear the NICs check.

Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 21 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.