Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I wanted to know how a person would get on the national

Customer Question
I wanted to know...

I wanted to know how a person would get on the national theft database

Lawyer's Assistant: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No charges filed no police involved I will be getting a letter in the mail to pay civil demand the amount was 5.75 it was don't by mistake I also bought $175 worth of items

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wasn't banned from the store

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok no problem
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

To answer your question, an individual gets added to the national theft database, if the store/ retailer where the theft occurred, is a member of the national theft database and adds that person's name to the database.

The purpose of the database is to alert other retailers and businesses about this person's conduct, to offer more protection to businesses.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
will they tell me if I have been added on it?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
do you think after I pay the civil demand I would have a problem?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

Answer:

Not necessarily. In most cases, a person is not notified and the store is under no legal obligation to notify you.

Answer:

Even after you pay the civil fine, the store can still choose to alert the police and press charges, and your payment of the civil fine could even be used as evidence of an "admission of guilt."

Since this was for such a minimal amount, and depending on the specific facts could have just been an easy oversight given the amount of items you purchased at the time, it seems unlikely that the store would seek criminal prosecution.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
will being on the national theft retail database affect me getting a job in the healthcare field
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

Being on the national retail theft database is not something that should show up in a criminal background check.

Since there was no arrest made, and no criminal case generated, then no, theoretically this should not affect future employment opportunities.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
do you know if first time offenders are on the national retail theft database?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 26 days ago

That depends on whether the retailer/ business had them added.

You can be added with or without formal criminal charges being filed, if the business owner has your name entered into the database.

Hope that helps clarify! Did you still have any questions about this?

Don't forget to leave a positive rating using the stars at the top of the page. Thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!