Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was very drunk one night and texting a friend who is

Customer Question
I was very drunk...

I was very drunk one night and texting a friend who is having some relationship problems. I said that the boyfriend at the time needed to stop messing up or I would come Get him. This was several weeks ago now, and he has since gone through her phone During a fight that they were having Found that message and has told her that he is going to file charges for terroristic threatening on me. The boyfriend is a convicted felon and said that unless I'd call him and apologize that he is going to go to the police

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I was not convicted of anything

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Arkansas

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/29/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It is extremely unlikely that charges could be brought against you since you didn't make the threat to the boyfriend and you didn't intend him to receive the text message.

I think that the boyfriend whom I have never met is attempting to blackmail me somehow. I'm not sure how he will go about doing that. But I do know that he is a convicted felon and has warrants out for his arrest in several counties in arkansas is this enough for me to file a police report. Or is that not something I should be concerned with

That is not something you should be concerned with. You don't file a police report when there are already warrants out for someone's arrest. You could inform the police of his location, but that might result in more trouble and possibly escalate the issue.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

I was not planning on having any more to do with him or this friend because of this issue. I was under the impression that if files a report he will have to give the police his information thus bringing up the issue of his warrants. I was going to dismiss the whole issue and cut communication.

Got it, understood. Yes, he would have to give his information; however, they wouldn't necessarily run it against their system such that a warrant would pop up. But it would be very foolish of him to risk it.

Please don't forget to provide a positive rating!