Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter has been in a child custody battle for 7. I'm…

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been in a child custody battle for 7

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

I'm sorry I sent the text too fast . Long story short she has court June 28, the father wants her to jail for bringing their daughter too soon for visitation her plane got there early in his state. However the official drop off is at the police station in his state, she did ask him to pick her up from the airport and he did. Father has turn this all around, put a motion in to have her arrested for not following order. Judge had allow it to push it through.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She's needs help immediately!

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/28/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok, how can she avoid going to jail, this makes no sense to put her jail for arriving at the airport early Even though she asked him to come and get because the 7 year old was tired. Note: mother and daughter got there at midnight, drop at the police station was at noon father made the choice to pick up his daughter.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
This Judge that is on the case has express to my daughter she does not like her in open court.

Interesting. So, did the father file a contempt motion? Was she arrested?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Father filed contempt motion. Determination is June 28, 2018

I see. So, generally, the courts dislike if people intentionally violate court orders. Plus, the courts aren't usually very eager to send parents to jail over things like this. If, as you say, your daughter was there late and if the police station was closed and if the father was not otherwise interrupted from being able to be with the kids, it is highly improbable that the court would do anything like put her in jail. My main recommendation would be that she show as much contrition and apologize for having the court spend this kind of time on the matter. Even if she doesn't believe that is the case. That, combined with a logical explanation, could help her stay out of jail.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
My daughter arrived 12 hrs early she was not late

I'm sorry. I meant arriving at a different time than is required. The judge may have a bias toward parents that have difficulty arranging for drop offs and pick ups in a civil manner; however, if she can recognize and respect that in giving her statement as to what happened, then she'll be in very good shape in my opinion.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
My daughter told me the father got his lawyer and the state attorney to go after her. I would like to try to help her I've paid for attorney no-one is helping her with this rigged case.

I'm sorry to hear about that. It stinks when you're in this kind of situation, but if your daughter starts thinking about what is in the best interests of the courts, the children, and herself, then she can show the court that putting her in jail is meaningless and not going to help any of those three parties.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?