Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just got out of prison and I need to get my drivers

Customer Question
I just got out...

I just got out of prison and I need to get my drivers permit. but I have fines and no way to pay them. the only reason I cant drive is over fine. is there some way I can get help so I can get a drivers permit so I can get back to work

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I have no charges i done my time but i cant get a drivers permit. but cant pay my fines because i cant get to work do u know a way that could help me get my drivers permit so i can get back to work

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Va

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/28/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Nate, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

Yes, it would be possible to request a restricted license for up to six months time.

The first thing you need to do is apply for a ***** *****cense. It will be immediately suspended. You will need that official form from the DMV to file with the court where your fines exist.

You have to file a petition with the General District Court where you have fines (all of them).

The petition can be found here. Be sure to contact each General District Court to see if they have particular local rules regarding file a petition for a restricted license.

what if its in another state and this state that I have fines

In which state are the fines?