Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a witness be impeached for a crime for which the witness…

Customer Question
Can a witness be...

Can a witness be impeached for a crime for which the witness was charged but acquitted?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were they charged with exactly? Are there any upcoming court dates?

Charged with murder 11 years ago. no upcoming court dates

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the murder occur?

Dc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. please contact me at***@******.***

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/28/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The judge would not allow this if it were objected to.A person who was acquitted of a crime, this would not be relevant to the proceeding.If there was a preliminary objection here court would not allow such questions as they are improper here given the acquittal .It is not not relevant, they were innocent here.It is not going to be admissible for incrimination here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'm waiting. By the way, I am an immigration attorney and practiced criminal defense from 1991 to 1999. This question is for a fictional manuscript that I am writing.

It just would not be allowed here.It is irrelevant since they weren't convicted.You could have lawyer try and other side objects and judge sustains it.