Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a man and I am being questioned about rape and assault.

Customer Question
I am a man and...
I am a man and I am being questioned about rape and sexual assault. However i was sexually assaulted by the girl but I did not report it last year. Because how can a man report he was sexually assaulted by a younger girl...But the girl is saying it's me and I did it.Idk if anyone is gonna believe me and I kept it a secret all this time. I do have witnesses to her behavior.Should I make a police report against her? What should I do?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/26/2018
Criminal Lawyer: James Daloisio, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
James Daloisio

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

The sexual offense statutes are, for the most part, gender neutral. Any man or woman can make a complaint about any other man or woman. Yes, you should report it. Better late than never, although at this point it's going to look like you're doing it to shift blame. They will ask you why you didn't report it when it occurred. Although the answer is obvious, be prepared to discuss it. And just provide the names of the witnesses. It's never a good idea to contact your witnesses to "prep" them before you make the report. Just give the police the information and let them handle it.

Remember, no matter what anyone says, like in the movie, "It's not what you know, Clyde, it's what you can prove in court." The police need evidence. Testimony is one form of evidence, and in sexual assault cases there should be some evidence that corroborates the testimony of the victim. So be prepared for a long, detailed interview when you make your complaint.

As far as being the suspect...you should speak with an attorney. It's never a good idea to answer questions posed to you as a suspect by the police until you've discussed it with a lawyer.

Hope that helped. Please don't forget to rate this answer. You may always return here with follow up questions on this topic at no additional charge, and thank you for using Just Answer!