Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have strong reason to believe my coworker went through my…

Customer Question
I have strong reason to...
I have strong reason to believe my coworker went through my purse when I stepped out of our office. Unfortunately and I know it was a massive error in judgement on my part, I had medication in the purse - which is for something that carries a lot of stigma. If she shares that information with other.ls, after having obtained it digging through my zipped up purse, is there anything I can do? What is she took pictures and shares them?
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/26/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 23 days ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If she shares this information, this would be an invasion of your privacy. The publicizing of private facts is something for which you could take her to court if it damages your reputation. It's also not lawful for her to search through your purse. Unfortunately, however, while you could report it to the police, they may not be willing to do anything because you didn't see her do it.

Your strong suspicion may be 100% correct, but a prosecutor can't file a case on just a suspicion. He needs to be able to prove a case beyond a reasonable doubt and your suspicion and nothing more, may not be good enough to help him do that.

Apart from this, you can share your feelings with HR, as this is a workplace issue as well as a criminal matter. They may be able to nip this in the bud before it becomes an issue.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I work for a small firm. There is no hr
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Would you confront her?

You can go to your supervisor there's no HR.

Would I confront her? If I did, I'd do it carefully so as not to provoke an incident. I would stop short of accusations, but just ask if she went through your bag, because you could tell that somebody did and you know that she had been alone with it. She'll likely say no, but hopefully know enough to keep her mouth shut about anything she found.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
She’s our head admin
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
She has access to our bosses email
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
frequently shares personal information about them. I fear it’s likely already out given her tendencies. I feel so stupid
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It’s very damaging information on me - it will ruin my personal life as well

So then tell your boss. At least you know you can contact a civil trial lawyer and sue her if she starts putting stories out there that would cost you your job or damage your reputation. This is an invasion of privacy matter.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The information about them is gleaned from their emails
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Does the company have any liability for this? Or is it just her personally?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
If she does out things out there, could she be prosecuted criminally?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Also, what if she took pictures?

If she searched your purse in her official capacity, then the company would share in liability. This sounds civil to me and not criminal. It is an invasion of your privacy and then the public disclosure of private facts.

The criminal statute for invasion of privacy in California is the state's voyeurism statute and not the same thing at all.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It wasn’t a search in an official
Capacity though it was during business hours and in the office
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Still just civil if she posts pics online?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Seriously, my life is going to be in tatters if this gets out

You can report it to the police. It could constitute electronic harassment. But it's a stronger case as an invasion of privacy.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I’ll lose everything

Right. That's why it's a suit. And why you may want to include the employer in the suit.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
She doesn’t have the assets to make up even close to the personal and financial losses to me

Sorry for the delay. I left the computer to grab some lunch. Maybe so, but if you won you could go after what assets she does have and garnish wages and so forth besides.

I hope that nothing comes of this, but if you do have to go forward with legal remedies, I wish you the best of luck with the case.

Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 22 days ago

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.