Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just graduated college with an engineering degree a few…

I just graduated college...

I just graduated college with an engineering degree a few days ago but I have already been denied 4 jobs because I have felonies on my record. I got the charges in October 2013. There are two different docket numbers. the first is illegal possession of stolen things over 500 but under 50000 (Is that a felony or misdemeanor) and the second docket # is simple burglary (felony) and simple criminal damage to property between 500-50000 (felony or misdeanor?)

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

The question is in Louisiana :
Under the provisions of Article 893/894 of the Criminal Code of Procedure, imposition or execution of sentence has been deferred and you have been placed on supervised probation, under the provisions of Article 895 of the Criminal Code of Procedure for a period of 5yrs on 9-16-2013, by Judge Wayne Ray Chutz Oops that is what my papaerwork said 5 years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a LA lawyer about this yet?

The question is how long from the time i get off probation can i file for an expungement? No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just can't make heads or tails with the statute they call to, when accessing my specific charges etc

Any replies?
5/20/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor

Congratulations on your degree! That is really great and you are in a hot field.

Here is my recommendation to you. Speak with the public defender in your parish (or the parish where the convictions were entered). If you call the court, they will connect you with the public defender.

Find out if there is a way to have the record expunged, i.e., to have your convictions removed. Sometimes they will do this after you have completed probation.

If you can't get them removed, then ask if they can be reduced to a misdemeanor. There is usually some leeway in what can be done.

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest you speak to the dean or president of your college and explain the situation and ask them to write a letter of good character reference for you. Then you can present the letter along with your application to overcome the convictions. Additionally, the college president or dean might be willing to make a few calls on your behalf to get you interviews and get you passed this situation that is holding youbakc. Your professors might have similar contacts too.

You should be entitled to a fresh start here with your excellent background and degree.

Please rate 5 stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press send.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Law Professor