Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have prior possesion of marijuana charges I just got a…

I have prior possesion...

I have prior possesion of marijuana charges I just got a state jail felony for thc oil or wax a little over a gram but less than 2 and I don’t want any jail time u think I could get probation

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

Controlled substance of thc oil and what do u mean exhausted

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the drug possession occur?

Odessa texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I have like 5 possesion of marijuana charges where I just got fines and this is my first state jail felony ever and it’s for. Controlled substance over a gram but less than 2 of thc oil

5/19/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes. In my experience, typically, if this is possessory only and your first felony charge, some form of probation would be the likely outcome of the case. For that matter, Drug Court would be a possibility too, which could keep the matter off of your record.

u don’t think I could get any jail time I’m scared and don’t want no jail time also to add in some factors I was already out of my car and walking up to my house wen they stopped me and never told me wat I was charged for until I called my bonding agency was wen I found out does my prior misdeameanor charges play a factor in my case

No, I don't think you're likely to get jail time. The prior misdemeanor charge is why I think the state may offer you Drug Court, which is a form of probation and a way to work off the possibility of a felony conviction by attending a treatment program breaking your dependency on marijuana. Straight probation would generally be available as well, but the conviction would reman on your record.

Is it more time on straight probation

Probably. Drug court requires you to test clean for a year to get your case dismissed. If you relapse it can take a long time to get done with that too. But if you comply, you would finish drug court probably quicker than straight probation and come out without a record besides.

Would I have to b clean for a year before my court date
Plz let me know

Sorry for the delay. I had to take a phone call.

No. You're being arrested for a marijuana offense. It would be expected that you would still have it in your system on your court date. From whatever point you test clean, you'd have to stay clean if you got Drug Court.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

no jail time

Not in my experience. You're a user. It's your first felony. They'll try to give you drug court or probation to get you help.

Ok thank u so much

You're very welcome. Please don't forget to rate my service to you before leaving the site so that I can get credit from the site for assisting you.

Zoey_ JD
Can I contact u in the future and how and should I get a lawyer before my court date I don’t even have a court date

Once you get a court date, you can contact the Texas Bar Association's Lawyer REferral Service and they will be able to find you a criminal lawyer. They charge a fee of around $50 which includes a free half-hour consultation with the attorney.

https://www.americanbar.org/directories/lawyer-referral-directory.html?id=TX

You could also try a commercial legal referral service such as www.Martindale.com.

If you need to contact me for a different question, you can post a new question here and make the first two words of it "For Zoey." I will see it and know that it's for me