Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

This maybe a technicality. A 25 year old male is convicted…

Customer Question
This maybe a technicality...

This maybe a technicality. A 25 year old male is convicted of family violence and got a deferred adjudication, assault causing bodily injury, class A misdemeanor, judgement that he successfully completed. This was an issue between his mother and him. Does the fact they didn't live in the same household have any bearing on whether his case is eligible for non-disclosure?

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

Assault Causes Bodily Injury family member. (BTW; you;re not a bot are you?)

Lawyer's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. In what state did the assault occur?

Texas

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
5/14/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (And, please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline - they are incorrect.)

Not at all. The Texas Penal Code, Government Code, and other applicable statutes do not mandate that the alleged victim and the Defendant cannot live in the same abode. So if one is eligible for non-disclosure by law, the fact that he lives with the alleged victim does not matter.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Thanks

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Are there any options to have his sentenced reduced after he has successfully completed his probation ?

Sorry, but no. The only option is to be released from community supervision (not probation; that's different) early. But if the community supervision is already finished, then there is nothing else left to do but to file for non-disclosure if eligible.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

He resides in tx and the law is clear. He is screwed.

Right - you already said this is Texas. I am sorry my answer stands 'as is,' then.