Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My boyfriend just got served and is being charged with

My boyfriend just got...

My boyfriend just got served and is being charged with assault class 3 misdemeanor, disorderly conduct class 1 misdemeanor & criminal damage class 2 misdemeanor. It all stemmed from a lil argument we had i didn’t want any further action taken but the state decided to. I’m uncertain where the criminal damage comes from because he didn’t damage property. He has a perfectly clean record with representation what are the odds of these charges being dismissed? Or what is the usual outcome in a case like this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

I listed the charges in the previous message

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

AZ

5/9/2018
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

A lot of it depends on your cooperation, with the State. As the victim, you do have a right to speak with the prosecutor assigned to the case about this and express your wishes that the charge be dismissed. It is possible that they will allow you to fill out a waiver of prosecution, to show you do not want them to proceed. However, the decision is always up to the State. I say this because this is a crime against the State and they represent your legal interest as the victim. If they want to proceed, they can and then their ability to win at trial, will likely come down to your cooperation and if you appear and testify against him. As the victim, they would need you to testify against him and if that does not happen, they would have a hard time proceeding and proving the charge beyond a reasonable doubt.

Okay thank you! I don’t want this to go further. It was a one time stupid moment. I will most definitely not be testifying against him. We plan to hire an attorney for him but will they require me to be present for court dates?

That is up to the State, not his attorney. As the victim, the State represents your interest, so it will be at their discretion, if and when they want to try and make you appear. If they can not find you, they will not have a victim/witness, so they may not be able to proceed.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty