Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I received a misdemeanor dui in California in march, my

Customer Question
I received a misdemeanor...

I received a misdemeanor dui in California in march, my court date is May 24, I live in NH.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have DUI charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I have never been in trouble before, not even a ticket. I am 110lbs and blew a .1 they still haven't given me the results of my blood test.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the DUI occur?

I understand if I don't show up May 24, they can issue a bench warrant that expires after 180 days. I don't have the money for a lawyer and they arent going to come to NH to get me. DA still doesn't have my info.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
I understand if I don't show up May 24, they can issue a bench warrant that expires after 180 days. I don't have the money for a lawyer and they arent going to come to NH to get me. DA still doesn't have my info. A lawyer would be $5,000 plus and if convicted the fine is only $1000. I need an honest answer, what if I just ignore it and never go back to California
5/8/2018
Criminal Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. Please give me a moment to reply.

Good afternoon,

I need to first correct one thing you said - a bench warrant does not expire in California. While in some states, bench warrants for misdemeanor cases expire in 6 months if not renewed, even in those states, prosecutors routinely review expiring warrants and renew them. So, the warrant is still active. While it is true that it likely is not extraditable, understand that if you are stopped by the police for any reason, that warrant can show up and you may be detained while they try to decide what California wants to do with you.

If you never return to California and just ignore it, yes, the bench warrant is still active and the case is unresolved, but you're right, no one is going to come looking for you out of state for a misdemeanor DUI matter. That said, the other thing you should consider is that the pending case can show up in background checks for things like employment and housing.

Hmmmm what can I do if I am unable to attend court in CA then.

You may be able to have an attorney represent you without you needing to appear. I understand the financial cost and I don't know if you would qualify - but you could also call the Public Defender's office in the county in which you were charged and see if they would be able to assist you.