Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was chard with a hit and skip in Ohio. I gave the police…

I was chard with...

I was chard with a hit and skip in Ohio. I gave the police the required information after they stopped me. I just wnat to know what the pnelaties of this are and if jail time is a possibility? ORC 4549.02

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

It appears so court date 05/21/2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Ohio lawyer about this yet?

Not yet. Is jail time a posssibility of this

5/5/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

This is a misdemeanor of the first degree. In Ohio, that has a maximum possible penalty of 180 days of jail time and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Almost every crime has an incarceratory penalty, which means there is always a possibility of jail time. That said, for something like this, that possibility would be remote. You should be able to come out of this matter with a non-incarceratory sentence if you want to dispose of this case without having to go to trial.

However, you may be able to do even better than just avoiding jail. There may be a way to come out of this case without a misdemeanor conviction at all, and that would be the best possible resolution of the case. To that effect, you should have a lawyer with you on your court date to help you fight the case or to negotiate the most favorable disposition possible for youe.

Zoey_ JD