Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I’m from Alabama. The police arrested me on 2 charges

I’m from Alabama. The...

I’m from Alabama. The police arrested me on 2 charges misdemeanor and felony. The misdemeanor was misconstrued with coding of a felony giving felony bond on misdemeanor charge. Is there consequences

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

Yes may 29. Do 3rd dv2nd

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AL lawyer about this yet?

Not this question but one is hired

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Na

Also I was smacked in ribs with broom before incident police have not revealed my photo of bruise. I have tbi and am claiming temp insanity due to tbi and violence. No felonies. 1 first offenders in Mississippi. Can I get Alabama pretrial diversion. Or what’s gonna happen
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/3/2018
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What are the charges against you?

Zoey_ JD
Dv 3 wreckless endangerment. Dv 2 criminal mischief
Phone call session started
I will call you shortly.

Calling now. Thanks for your patience.

I just called and got a machine.

Please check the phone number you gave the site. I have called twice now and all I get is voicemail.

I’m available for you to call

Since I can't reach you, I'll type a basic answer here which I can flesh out when we speak. You're going to have to deal with these charges, and you should have a lawyer for that.

If you are a victim of police brutality and/or you think you may be a victim of a wrongful detention, you would want to inform your lawyer of that fact as soon as possible. Your main problem will still be the case you have to deal with, but at the same time, you don't want to miss any filing deadlines if he feels you have a viable suit against the police.

As for the charges, they are domestic in nature.

I'll try you again now.

That's what I just called again, but it's going straight to voicemail.

Ok call now. Stupid I phone keeps kicking me off service. I have rebooted it. It’s on Verizon now
The criminal mischief is in the 1st but it’s classified as dv2. What’s the deal

I mentioned that over the phone. If you have certain priors, they can bump up a misdemeanor to a felony.

https://law.justia.com/codes/alabama/2012/title-13a/chapter-6/section-13a-6-131/

from this information you’re saying both charges are misdemeanors and the police are the ones pushing it for felony. So it’s up to the plea arrangements with the da

Yes, essentially. The charges are misdemeanors but if your record allows for an additional charge of DV2 because of the nature of your priors, the state has the discretion to go for the heavier charge.

I got 5 dv charges. But it’s all different crimes. Is this what they need
All of which were dv3

You have to look at the statute for DV2 that I linked you to to see if your prior convictions match the crimes specified in the statute.

The link didn’t imply that. But however I believe what you’re saying is referred to as obitual offending. But does apply in Alabama but only for felony charges.

Maybe the police thought they had a criminal mischief in the first degree. That would give them a DV2. But that's not what they charged.