Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What are the extradition laws back to for a probation

what are the extradition laws...
what are the extradition laws back to virginia for a probation violation from north carolina or texas
5/2/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "what are the extradition laws"...are you asking if VA can have you extradited to face trial in VA?

from nc or texas for a probation violation

Thanks
They can...certainly they can. They have to pay for it...if VA wants to return you, they have to bear the costs of the process. For this reason, it is not typical for states to seek extradition unless the underlying charges are felony charges...but they can extradite for any criminal charge (misdemeanor or felony)

There is a process they have to follow;

1. The first step is VA has to issue an arrest warrant.

2. If you are arrested in TX or NC or any state in the US, you would be held, without bond, waiting a hearing on extradition.

3. At the hearing, VA has to provide evidence that you are suspected of a crime in VA...if they can provide this evidence, then the authorities will release you to VA and you would be transported back to face charges

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil