How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sean K Your Own Question
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1378
Experience:  Attorney/Member in Private Law Firm
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sean K is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm not sure if I should plead guilty or no contest for a

This answer was rated:

I'm not sure if I should plead guilty or no contest for a possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. This is my first time offense. I want to see if they offer a diversion program. I won't have a lawyer..
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: yes today is the court date by telephone
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: new mexico
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: will i be able to get these off my record?

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Can you tell me the county in which you live in New Mexico?

Sean K and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was visiting Alamogordo, NM when I got the tickets.

The link for the diversion program is here.

The information kit is here.

Please let me know if there are any follow up questions and Best of Luck.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Sean, I just spoke with the judge. He's giving me 10 days to hire my own lawyer. Do you know any good lawyers in New Mexico that can help me?

We aren't allowed to recommend specific attorneys, but I have a number of resources you can use.

First, New Mexico Legal Aid has a screening number(###) ###-####that allows for state wide screening.

The New Mexico State Bar - link here has a lawyer referral service where for $35 you can have a consultation with an attorney that is matched with your needs. Good news on this is that with a targeted need for a diversion plea, the retainer will be lower. If you don't get an attorney from the service, there is a partial refund.

Also, two other resources and are two online free lawyer search/directories that you can search via geographic and practice area.

I always like to tell people that there is no problem with you talking to more than one lawyer. If all you are going to do is have them do a diversion plea, that means less of their time and a lower fee. If the fee quoted to you seems high, feel free to ask me about it or even just contact another attorney to see what they charge.