Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Regarding embezzlement, first time offender, embezzled up to…

Customer Question
Regarding embezzlement, first time...

Regarding embezzlement, first time offender, embezzled up to $250,000 and forged checks. What could potential sentence be . Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have forgery charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

No. No charges have been filed at all. Only an investigation

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Oklahoma lawyer about this yet?

A little. But because no charges have been filed I’m not getting much help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I paid bills of mine from their checking account too. That’s included in the amount

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

This would be a felony charge and in Oklahoma could get you up to 5 years of prison. That said, on a first non-violent felony offense, if you were interested in resolving this with a plea agreement, a lawyer could likely negotiate you a plea to probation with restitution to the complainant.

In short, you generally can avoid incarceration if you wanted to make a deal but you will be expected to pay back the money you stole.

Why would the FBI get involved?

I could only guess, since I have no real facts to go on. In general, the Feds get involved when:

1) the amount of money involved is very high;

2) the matter involves more than one state;

3) the complainant is a financial institution;

4) they suspect organized criminal activity.

If this is Federal, you can expect to serve some prison upon conviction.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.