Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I live in Pennsylvania. Yesterday while driving home on my…

Customer Question
I live in Pennsylvania...
I live in Pennsylvania . Yesterday while driving home on my street I saw a man walking pulling on car doors to see if any were unlocked . I called 911 from my cell
Phone to report the suspsious activity. I was fearful
Because I live in tbe area to give my real name . I gave the dispatcher a fake name . However what I was reporting was real . They dispatched the police to check it out , and the police man called me back on my phone to ask me if I had s better description of the man. Because I gave 911 that fake name , I also gave it to the cop who called me from a no caller Id number . What I saw in fact happnend and what I reported was true . Can I get in trouble for giving a made up name ? I did not want to give my name because the man was trying to get into cars near my home . I did not want my name out there as the person who called . I should have said I wish to remain anonymous , but I panicked . Is this something I can be charged with because I used. fake name to report a real crime ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
The police also saw a man walking but did not stop him and to what I know they didn’t find the man who was pulling on the door handles of cars tonsee if they were unlocked .
4/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It's extremely unlikely that anything would happen here. They didn't find the man you were talking about, so they don't need you to testify in court. And if they called again or requested a formal report, you could give your real name at that time. You didn't give a fake driver's license, which would be a crime. So most likely, you don't have anything to worry about.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

they couldn’t charge me with false reports to an agency of public safety because I gave a fake name ? Or false identification to law enforcement ? It made me nervous that the local cop called me after I called 911. Can they get a warrant for my cell phone ? It’s a shame to be afraid to report a crime because our local policeman can be really petty at times .

False identification would require giving an officer a false ID. And the report itself isn't false simply because you gave a fake name. But even more than that - they'll never know. They didn't find the guy, which means the case is over. They're not going to keep looking for him. There would be no reason whatsoever for them to access your cell phone records.

Thank you so much are you a PA lawyer ? Just want to put my mind at ease.

I'm not currently licensed in PA, but I am experienced in researching and providing information in every state, and I've worked as a prosecutor. There is no prosecutor who would spend their time on a case like this. They're too busy going after the people who've committed violent or dangerous felonies.

Do you have any other questions about this?