Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a question about fueling at the gas station. I went…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a question...
Hello, I have a question about fueling at the gas station. I went to pump my gas today and I saw the screen on the pump that says: "begin fueling". As soon as I began fueling it stops at $20.00. And a reciept was printed out. But I didn't pay for the gas today. It looks like someone forgot to pump their fuel. So before I drove off, the screen says: "pump busy". I am going back the next day to pay for the gas. Will this be okay for me to go back and ask the manager what happened? And pay the $20.00 amount?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You can go back there and do this but you run the risk that he would contact the police and have you charged with theft of services. Sometimes doing the right thing morally can get you into trouble legally, because here, in order to do the right thing, you essentially would be confessing to a crime.

Hopefully, if you want to do this, the manager of the gas station will be understanding and you can just show him the receipt, give him the $20 and all will be forgotten. But that doesn't have to be the case.

I cannot tell you what the manager will do. I can tell you, however, that he could decide to have you charged with a crime and that legally, if he did so, you could be prosecuted for having left the station without paying.

what do I do? I haven't heard anything since yesterday.

Sorry for the delay. I left the computer to run some errands.

I can't tell you what to do. That's strictly up to you. All I can do is tell you the risks so that you can make your own decision. If you go in and confess to what you did and pay them the money, maybe you will get charged with a theft of services offense and maybe not. The manager would be within his rights to charge you. Paying him back does not erase the unlawful act. It gives the management no more than what they were entitled to in the first place. The risk is yours if you want to take it.

If you do nothing at all, it's possible that you will get away with what you did, since if someone got your plate numbers at the time you took the gas, the police could easily find out who you were and contact you.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.