Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I apparently had a warrant for a fraud charge and didn’t…

Customer Question
I apparently had a...

I apparently had a warrant for a fraud charge and didn’t know about it. I moved eleven years ago from California, got a drivers license registered my car, all without any notification. I returned to California to visit and was arrested on the warrant. The charge is thirteen years old is there a statute of limitation? What will happen to me when I fly back for my court date? I can’t afford a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the fraud charges?

I got released on bail and I have to fly from Hawaii back to Cali on April 10 for a court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this yet?

No I was only arrested on Friday night and I leave on Monday to go back home. I don’t have money for a lawyer I’m disabled

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
I’ve lived in Hawaii going on twelve years, I’ve worked, had a current address and identification, but I’ve never received any information regarding this warrant and charge. I’m disabled presently with acute issues and on lots of medications including several pain meds I see doctors weekly and I’m afraid they’ll say I can’t go home after my first hearing. I can’t afford a lawyer. I think the charge was less than $4000
4/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Once a warrant is entered the statute of limitations freezes. So once the police obtained the warrant, there was no longer any statute of limitations running. The warrant remains in place until the person is arrested. Generally, depending on the fraud time and who the witnesses are, if the witnesses have moved, died off or could not be found, then the DA will have to dismiss the case based on those reasons. But as long as the witnesses and evidence is still available, I am sorry to say that the statute of limitations does not apply because of the warrant.

You are entitled to a public defender, since this is a criminal case. So you need to contact the PD office in CA where you were charged.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Worst case seneario what can happen to me? I’m just worried they’re not going to let me go back home to my doctors and medical treatment while all this is going on. What’s a pd office? Yes I’ll leave positive feedback
I’ve never had as much as a traffic violation

Thank you for your reply.

Worst case, it is California, they give probation for first offenses and they will make you pay a fine and give you probation which would allow you to go back home.

PD office is the "Public Defender's Office" and they provide free representation to those who cannot afford an attorney.