Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How much does it cost to defend a felony

Customer Question
Second opinion] how much does...
Second opinion] how much does it cost to defend a felony
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The answer is variable. It depends partly upon how you want to resolve the case. If all you need the lawyer for is to cut a deal for you, you can resolve the case for less than $5K, maybe even substantially less, depending upon the nature of the case.

The more serious the case, the more resistant the prosecutor will be to a favorable deal and the more time the lawyer generally will have to spend to resolve it. Felony trial cases would start around $10K but they can go to three times that much if the charge is a serious violent matter.

Finally, the last factor is the experience of the lawyer. The more experience a lawyer has and the better his reputation, the more expensive retaining him or her will be. The sky can literally be the limit, if you're looking for a superstar.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.