Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have an eighteen year old grandson. When I send him

Customer Question
I have an eighteen...

I have an eighteen year old grandson. When I send him letters, his parents refuse to give them to him or throw them away. He is still living in his parents home. Are they required to give him his mail?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No. Colorado doesn’t recognize grandparent’s rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, they think this is alright. Even though my husband and I have cared for them (three boys) both physically and monetary foe years the parents have denied access. We send packages and letters through the mail that have been returned.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My daughter has depression and possibly a personality disorder. My son in law goes along with her. This has been going on for 11/2 years.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

He is an adult at 18, if they are not giving him his mail, they are violating US law regarding theft of mail and you could pursue a criminal claim against them for theft and destruction of US Mail. However, at 18 he is entitled to make up his own mind and he is entitled to communicate with you if he chooses and they cannot tell him or forbid him from doing so. This is not a grandparent's rights issue any longer, he is an adult and allowed to make his own decisions free from his parents.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.