Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm an advocate of domestic violence and assault, I have a…

Customer Question
I'm an advocate of...

I'm an advocate of domestic violence and sexual assault, I have a client whom she wanted to go back to live the offender, and because he found my name, he made her write letter saying she came just to ask for advice and I told her to call the police. Moreover, the police already knew because the police called me after she called, however, she is going around spreading lies among the community that always support abusive men and blame women. The offender, her husband, made her say I met her at the hospital where I work as on call interpreter and she told me she has problems with her husband and I told her to sue him which isn't true, but I don't feel safe now because of their circle of friends are extremist and completely against women. I need recommendation or consultation to know how to act. Moreover, the confidentiality also make my hands tied.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

The offender been charges with domestic violence and the reason he is trying so hard to clean his record on my expenses.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

State of Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just would him to be charge because he is been abusing this woman in front of her kids although right now she is trying so hard to clean his record after he started paying the some of the rent because she is on housing assistance program. I had helped her to get benefits when the police refers her to our agency. Another client has a shred custody and every time she bring the daughter even for 2 minutes, the x-husband would call the police and that is very difficult because the child cries as soon as the police comes.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/1/2018
Criminal Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry, but I am having difficulty understanding your post.

Kindly review, edit, properly identify the parties and your issues, ask specific question(s), and resubmit.

Thank you for your cooperation.

like I said in my previous post, I'm a domestic violence and sexual assault advocate. I serve immigrants Africans community here in Iowa City IA; mostly people from Sudan in this city. One of my client's husband trying to twist everything to make work for his advantage because he wanted to lift the criminal no contact order. I helped this woman a lot, and now she is telling people that I made it a problem while she just wanted to talk to the police; the community is known here in Iowa City for supporting offenders and not survivors. This particular woman's husband send people to her and they convinced her to go back and live with her husband , so the husband has written letter to court saying that, I encouraged her to call the police and that broke their family. The police called and I came in to play me after she called the police, however, this woman has called the police 3 times on her husband after he hit her. Moreover, she called the police again, and she called me to ask me to explain to the police why she called the police because she doesn't understand English. However, now the husband is using this woman to clean his record and also convince the community that I break family. In addition, court here knew this community in many instances; they support men and they don't support victims. I also serve other Africans whom appreciate the help the agency provide. I help survivors in many different areas, such as financial, educational, immigration, and legal. My concern is that if this man win, it will encourage other men to be more abusive and also discourage women to fix their relationship, and also what do I need to do to stop this man?
I'm not gong to call, however, I rephrase my concern, and I hope you give good advice to handle this situation without survivors losing their strength and being discouraged by offenders and their supporters..
I have been waiting for your chat for so long and I rephrase my concern, however, i didn't hear anything back. please let me know if you're not going to mind me and chat with me.

Thank you for the information. Your response came when I was offline.

I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

I having hard time understanding you as well, and I don't have a case yet, rather I'm trying to protect myself and my clients from unfair group in the community!
Criminal Lawyer: Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot you can do if the community is not supportive of domestic abuse victims. I am surprised that would be true given that Iowa City is a college town, but perhaps the issue you are describing is limited to the Sudanese community as opposed to the community at large. Making such cultural changes takes a long time. We have large Somali and Hmong communities where I live and we deal with the same issues along with local discrimination against these communities. Sadly, there are no easy answers. The most significant solution is to educate the local immigrant communities to help them understand that such behavior is unacceptable and that it needs to change. There are a lot reasons why women stay in abusive relationships and those reasons are increased when there are additional issues such as lack of immediate family in the area, language barriers, lack of employment, etc. I would suggest getting a harassment restraining order against these folks if you yourself are being harassed.

I already know all the information you kindly provided. Iowa City is 100% violence insolence city, however, these are a big group from the Sudanese Community which also function like cult, so is difficult to educate them because their are those people who use religion and traditions to shame other people of not maintaining their values. Having said that, there are people from the same community who are very open minded, and against the abuse, but they have their hands tied.
One of the things we have done in MN is to avoid giving the alleged victim the ability to drop charges. Police Respond, audio record statements, and take photographs. When it comes time for trial, the alleged victim and subpoenaed and isn’t given an option not to testify. The court also does not drop a no contact order. This is change the dynamic dramatically in terms of domestic assault cases

Is that what you were getting at? How else can I help?