Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I would like to know if it is illegal to prevent someone…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know if it is illegal to prevent someone from calling the police during a physical struggle

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Between a father and son

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This case has long been dismissed with prejudice It occurred in 2014

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Thank you

Yes, a person can be charged for this. As to whether or not he can be convicted, that would depend on the particular facts and circumstances of the struggle and of the law in a particular state.

I have seen people successfully prosecuted for a domestic assault for using physical force to try to take a phone away. Also various states have statutes that criminalize trying to prevent someone from making a 911 call.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.